free website stats program Spark plugs | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark plugs

More food for thought Hoop!

IONSENSING.gif

Having 34K of resistance in the plug alone (not counting the wire) is in contrast to everything I know about ignition systems. Until seeing this Harley plug & subsystem, that would be a rejected number in every way, shape and form. I have never seen a resistor plug having 34K ohms of resistance. The worse part is not the fact it is 34K. If it was a fixed 34K all the time you could calculate and predict what the secondary spark line will be. But since it is changing from ~30K to ~7K as a function of temperature, how can you troubleshoot and predict what the secondary spark line will be. To me it makes little sense.

Like I said earlier, contacting Delphi was of no help. I sent another letter but I am sure it will fall on deaf ears.

I am finding more info as I go along with this ignition sub-system.

Hoople, try Champion they may be more user friendly, Delphi has had way to many union problems and GM selling and buying them back again JMO

is h/d the only one that detects knock this way.

Almost all knock detection systems I have seen on cages have been of the Piezo-electric sensor type. A two wire device that actually generates a small voltage when under compression or relaxed tension.
The ECM has filtering software that will filter all engine noises except the ones that fall in the frequency range of engine knock.

This system works very well and is completely independent of almost every other exterior sub-system (fuel, ignition, compression ratio, heat, bad plug wire, etc etc.)

Even our friend Delphi makes these type of sensors... see below.

Delphi Flat Response Knock Sensor

But we must deal with the hand we were given. So we will.

Not at all. Most FI engines have the capacity to detect knock and alter timing to minimize it.

Glider,Hoople

NOT saying I want to try it, BUT if you tap (knock) on the intake manifold while my 09 is running would the sensor retard the spark? Would the sensor pick up the tapping as a knock?

If you know?

This might be a way to Check the sensor to see if it is working properly.

just curious
signed....BUBBIE

signed....BUBBIE

Rumor has it if you use a pork chop bone that it will detect the noise as an engine knock and retard the timing.:s

Hoople, try Champion they may be more user friendly, Delphi has had way to many union problems and GM selling and buying them back again JMO

Jack, that a good point. I may do just that. Maybe they can explain the 6R12 characteristics a little better.

Watch them tell me to ask Harley Davidson!:D

Jack, that a good point. I may do just that. Maybe they can explain the 6R12 characteristics a little better.

Watch them tell me to ask Harley Davidson!:D

LOL, probably :s Champion has been very user friendly in the past, have been to several clinics they sponsored, great guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Glider,Hoople

BUT if you tap (knock) on the intake manifold while my 09 is running would the sensor retard the spark? Would the sensor pick up the tapping as a knock?

signed....BUBBIE

No it won't. Our bikes detect engine knock through the secondary sub-system of the Delphi coil. These bikes don't use Piezoelectric sensors.

You can beat it with a pork chop all day and I don't think the timing is going to kick back.:p

Back