free website stats program Spark plugs | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark plugs

ryankesterholt

i have the screaming eagle triple platinum in mine. i got them for free is the only reason i use them. Do these type of plugs affect the ion sensor since they are made for harley i wouldtn think so but i dunno?

Re: spark plug poll

i have the screaming eagle triple platinum in mine. i got them for free is the only reason i use them. Do these type of plugs affect the ion sensor since they are made for harley i wouldtn think so but i dunno?

I would think as long as the plugs your installing have the same resistance as the standard 6R12 plug you should be OK. Now a standard 6R12 HD plug that fits my 2009 FXDL has 36.4K ohms. That is not a misprint and that is a bunch. If the plug your installing has that high a resistance, I would guess you would be OK and the ion sensor will perform properly..

The fancy plugs have been known to set a code due to the ION sensing but usually after they have a few miles on them.

And the Ion Sensor needs to work properly so why take the risk of running anything but the right plug.. Take 1 look at some of these spark advance numbers from a stock factory map from my 2009. (If it displays correctly) the left column is RPM top to bottom and "engine load" is from left to right with far right being WOT.

Look at all the high 30's and 40's of degrees of advance.Your engine could never live a long life without some sort of spark retard kicking in when you quickly twisted the grip from a light load map in the 3000 RPM range.

Harley Davidson Community

And the Ion Sensor needs to work properly so why take the risk of running anything but the right plug.. Take 1 look at some of these spark advance numbers from a stock factory map from my 2009. (If it displays correctly) the left column is RPM top to bottom and "engine load" is from left to right with far right being WOT.

Look at all the high 30's and 40's of degrees of advance.Your engine could never live a long life without some sort of spark retard kicking in when you quickly twisted the grip from a light load map in the 3000 RPM range.

Harley Davidson Community

Good place to post this it should get read here

I would think as long as the plugs your installing have the same resistance as the standard 6R12 plug you should be OK. Now a standard 6R12 HD plug that fits my 2009 FXDL has 36.4K ohms. That is not a misprint and that is a bunch. If the plug your installing has that high a resistance, I would guess you would be OK and the ion sensor will perform properly..

Between this post and your next with the attached ignition advance chart you've convinced me to at least check the resistance on the plugs I'm currently using. Although I've had no issues using other than stock plugs I may not be getting the best performance.
Thanks

Ok, I tried checking the resistance on several plugs and don't get consistent readings. Maybe I'm not placing the probes in the correct place?
Where would that be?

Be sure to start with your meter in the 200K range and work down. (you may not have to).

Place 1 probe of your meter on the same contact point as the coil wire goes and the other meter probe to the center electrode (part that goes inside engine)

Se what you read.

Be sure to start with your meter in the 200K range and work down. (you may not have to).

Place 1 probe of your meter on the same contact point as the coil wire goes and the other meter probe to the center electrode (part that goes inside engine)

Se what you read.
That's what I was doing. Possibly I was also touching the ground strap.
Thanks

on several plugs and don't get consistent readings.

It would not matter if you were touching the ground strap at the same time.
It should be a straight forward reading.

When you say the readings are not consistent, what do you mean. If may drift a decimal point or 2 but that should not matter. The fact its happening on several plugs tells me it's either the range the meter is on or it's a problem with the meter itself. What type of meter is it.

Back