free website stats program spark plugs | Harley Davidson Forums

spark plugs

KingHeritage

Has a poll ever been taken about the favorite spark plugs used in big twins?I prefer Autolites.I don't know who makes HD plugs,but they look like Champions,which I'm not a fan of

I've tried several different brands of plugs in my harleys over my life-time, BUT have always found (gone-back) using the plug recommended by the manufacturer of vehicle. These seemed the best and gave the best service.......starting EASIER ALSO....

My JEEP wrangler ran CRUMMY on autolites and GREAT on the champions the chrysler motor co. said to run....I read info' under hood and realized i had used the wrong plugs(autolites).......changing over to the suggested plug (champions)........

It may have ran fine on the autolites (only 2,000mi on plugs) but #4 cyl had a MISSING internal electrode causing a miss-fire and a check-engine light CODE......

I beleive the manufactures of a motor vehicle take the time to DESIGN and ENGINEER a plug that WILL work THE BEST *****HENCE hd=hd recommended plug

I use the stock plug harley recommends and i HAVE beefed-up the motor and added higher compression and find the CHEAP harley plug is just fine......If I had to change the plugs out OFTEN, i might use a $$cheap plug but checking plugs @ 4/5,000 miles, and setting gap, I've gotten 12/15/000mi before I NEEDLESSLY toss them out and replace with recommended brand and heat range......

JUST MY WAY

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the advice Bubbie.The plugs in my 07 aren't ready to be replaced yet but I'm going to stay with the factory HD brand

I've tried several different brands of plugs in my harleys over my life-time, BUT have always found (gone-back) using the plug recommended by the manufacturer of vehicle. These seemed the best and gave the best service.......starting EASIER ALSO....

My JEEP wrangler ran CRUMMY on Autolites and GREAT on the Champions the Chrysler motor co. said to run....I read info' under hood and realized I had used the wrong plugs(Autolites).......changing over to the suggested plug (Champions)........

It may have ran fine on the Autolites (only 2,000mi on plugs) but #4 cyl had a MISSING internal electrode causing a miss-fire and a check-engine light CODE......

I beleive the manufactures of a motor vehicle take the time to DESIGN and ENGINEER a plug that WILL work THE BEST *****HENCE hd=hd recommended plug

I use the stock plug Harley recommends and I HAVE beefed-up the motor and added higher compression and find the CHEAP Harley plug is just fine......If I had to change the plugs out OFTEN, I might use a $$cheap plug but checking plugs @ 4/5,000 miles, and setting gap, I've gotten 12/15/000mi before I NEEDLESSLY toss them out and replace with recommended brand and heat range......

JUST MY WAY

signed....BUBBIE

Agree with Bubbie, I did "spring" for the Gold "colored" HD ones to see if the shell has more corrosion resistance...only time will tell...:28:

Last edited:
Thanks for your input New.I'm gonna stay with the HD plugs.By the way..isn't the phrase cheap harley an oxymoron?

More than likely it hasn't been done because a change of plugs to another type of plug will usually
set a code due to the ION sensing used in the delphi systems on the 2000 and up bikes.

ION Sensing Explained - Harley Davidson Community

Glider,I'm just curious again.If an aftermarket plug company ie. Autolite,Champion offered a plug specifically for a particular model,would the ION sensor detect it and set a code?

Last edited by a moderator:
Easiest way to answer that is some do and some don't set codes.

Champion for instance makes the HD plug.:s

My 07 was misfiring sometimes so I figured I would change plugs(15000miles) at 18000 it was doing it again and the electrodes on the plugs were showing signs of heat and the gap was opening. I cross referenced to a set of AC Delco plugs and my mileage has gone up the bike runs cooler and it is all around smoother. Now at 23,000 miles the plugs look good and will stay in a while longer.

I run Autolites in my carbed 03 Softail with zero problems, my understanding is the SAE cross reference data is pretty much a "standard" for the whole cross reference deal, so that the heat ranges etc. are the same for a given plug from brand to brand.

Back