free website stats program Spark plugs for 1340 shovel? | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark plugs for 1340 shovel?

FxRs-John

Anybody know of a decent spark plug for my 82 FXRS? Not having to much luck with the HD ones. any help would be appreciated.

What is the problem with the stock ones from HD? Are they fouling? What number are you using? What gap?

the rear one keeps loading up with oil residue, but other than that no problems. Talked to a very experienced machinest in my area, Ed VanEss, he is the one who started double plugging heads around this area, he says used to use autolites but i cant seem to find any at the automotive stores in town.

You probably have an oil control problem that should be addressed in the rear cylinder. Going to a hotter plug in that cylinder may help but it's only a remedy and not a cure. Plugclub.com can send you any plug you need.

NGK Spark Plugs Denso Spark Plugs

The plug in autolite is [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]2585[/FONT]

I think as usual Glider has hit it on the head. By the way, when is the last time you replaced the spark plug wires? Fossil

I know that the the rings need to be redone, the guy i bought the bike from informed me that he had just gone through the top end. So he either didnt know what he was doing or hes a big liar. I have heard quite a few people say that autolights were the best pulg to use in shovel heads. Just trying to find out if this is true or if there is somthing better out there.

As long as you have a bright sharp blue spark, doesn't matter what plug you use. The iridium plugs I was told will give a quicker start,(this was on a 17:1CR race engine) and they'll last longer,but are they worth the extra money???...IMO, no...none give more Hp. The only plug I would not use are the Champion plugs made in Mexico, they're junk....the ones made in the US are as good as all the others.

Back