free website stats program Spark Plug | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark Plug

Stick with the stock HD plugs. All the fancy ones do it empty your wallet faster, they don't run any better.

IF you must....

SparkplugXref.gif

Stick with the stock HD plugs. All the fancy ones do it empty your wallet faster, they don't run any better.

IF you must....

SparkplugXref.gif

Being the owner of a shop and being a wrench for the last 42+ years, I tell all my customers to run the plug that the factory put in there. There are a few exception in the case of heavily modified engines but as a rule, run what the factory put in there in the first place, and they're a lot cheaper than the aftermarket stuff.

Being the owner of a shop and being a wrench for the last 42+ years, I tell all my customers to run the plug that the factory put in there. There are a few exception in the case of heavily modified engines but as a rule, run what the factory put in there in the first place, and they're a lot cheaper than the aftermarket stuff.

I agree there Jack. Unless you raise the compression ratio of the engine or run a cam with a lot of overlap, there's really no benefit to the fancy plugs.

Good Advice ! But get a small tube of Anti-seize for the threads, Steel threads into Alum. Heads.....just a little on the threads, gap em and torque them to specs!

End gapping plugs and indexing may give you better starts and more complete burn but save your money and stay with stockJMO:D

I agree there Jack. Unless you raise the compression ratio of the engine or run a cam with a lot of overlap, there's really no benefit to the fancy plugs.

A friend of mine called me a few weeks back and said his engine was only running on one cylinder so I went to his house and checked it out. Pulled the rear plug to find it was one of those needle-point iridium plugs. I pulled two old plugs out of my saddlebag and put them in with 40k+ on them, installed them and the bike fired right off and ran sweet. Told him to go to Harley and buy regular old stock plugs, he put them in and hasn't had a problem since. Some folks think that because something is new and different it will make the bike run better. many times that is not the case, especially with spark plugs, but, of course, this is just my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt--jack :newsmile016:

Back