free website stats program Spark plug wires | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark plug wires

89 FXRS

Can someone please tell me the difference between the screaming eagle plug wires and the stock ones - as far as the the thickness and performance - thanks

Present P&A book lists them at 10mm. I think in the past, they were 8mm.
The stock wires are much smaller.

I changed to Accel a few years ago and they were bigger at the time (8.8mm). I got a choice of colors and I did it to just change. Hard to tell if it was better but changing the wires on my Sportster really helped. One of the old wires was rusty in the cap. It helped.

Can someone please tell me the difference between the screaming eagle plug wires and the stock ones - as far as the the thickness and performance - thanks

Aside from looking different with the different color, stock wires work just fine. No real benefit from the SE wires unless your old (stock) wires were breaking down and needed replacement. Replacing old wires with stock replacement is all that's needed on a stock or stage 1 motor. When you get into high performance motors, theses are the ones that could benefit from the upgraded wires.

When I wanted to replace my plug wires, I could not find stock ones anywhere, not Zanotti's, Chicago, no place). I then went to the loacal dealer and gave them the stock p/n, and they came out with the SE wires. Being thicker, they were kind of a pain to route and install. Once done, they work fine.

Enjoy,
Rich P

The SE wires have more insulation, hence the fatter look, do they out perform stock wires NO, checked with an Ohm meter there is no change from stock wires it is all about the look

I've tried Magnecor & Sumax plug wires on my former 05 Sporty & current 09 FLHX...like Jack & glider state - pretty much for "looks" vs. performance, but sure do like the pretty colors...:s

I always change my Harleys to orange SE wires, they are fatter and I like the way they look. Like the extra chrome I add, it makes it mine.

Back