Spark Plug wire size

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by 99RK Rider, Apr 18, 2011.

1. 99RK Rider

99RK Rider New Member

I am planning on changing my plug wires on my 99 Road King. It has the stage 2 SE kit. Was just wondering if a wire upgrade to 10.4mm wires over 8mm is worth the extra $ or not.:newsmile093:

Since the change of gas to 15% ethanol here, mileage (EDIT):mgun:

Please read and understand the info in this link...
    [note]
    A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
    [/note]

2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

As for an electrical advantage, I just don't see one. Since the wires are so short and they are not in contact with any surrounding metal, I really see no electrical advantage for going with them.
    Now if you were running a MSD ignition and you had 40KV of available voltage, that would be a different story.

Now cosmetics are something else.:)

3. SoonerSoftail

SoonerSoftail Active Member

You won't see a bit of difference. If the wires were 50 feet long, maybe but doubtful even then. As short as motorcycle wires are absolutely not.

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Save your money and stick with stock. I got a set of the new screaming eagle wires as a gift and see no change in the way my bike runs from stock wires:s

5. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Even if they don't work, it sure beats the pair of brown socks I got.!:)

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

LOL want to trade?:s

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

Stock plugs and stock wires, hard to beat that combo. ION sensing could be affected if you change either.

8. Big Dan

Big Dan Member

There's no ion sensing on a '99, so you're not limited to stock stuff. You can pretty much run what you want. I like NGK plugs, as a holdover from my dirt-bike days, and usually run SE wires on my '99 Ultra.

9. glider

glider Veteran Member

The ION sensing is a Delphi system feature but I still would use stock plugs and wires.

10. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Your money, buy what you want. Agree w/other posts...unless you're drag racing, stock wires are fine. Can go w/8.Xmm if you want something better than stock...anything more is overkill.