free website stats program Spark plug torque setting for the 88B engine. | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark plug torque setting for the 88B engine.

rynegold

I searched but didn't find mention, exactly, for the 88B so I'm asking: what is the recommended factory torque setting for spark plugs in the 88B?

Specifically, I'm riding/asking about, my 06 Heritage Softail.

Also, will different, higher quality plug wires help? anyone with experience on this?

Also, will different, higher quality plug wires help? anyone with experience on this?

I don't know anything about the 88B engine, but there are posts that talk about spark plugs for the TC96: that you should use HD brand plugs because the specific resistance in the HD brand is critical. Figuring the 88B is an older motor with less electronics, you may be OK, but I would look in the help sections first. I know there is a ton of info on spark plugs.

Wire insulation breaks down over time and with heat from the motor. Also using a little dielectric grease helps. Unless you have some high performance motor, I don't think wires make all that much difference, as long as they are the correct gauge and in good shape/have good connections. The dielectric grease really helps.

Another issue like this is oil filters. Not always, but sometimes HD brand is the right choice and after market is no better or or worse could harm the engine. Again, I don't recall exactly and I use HD plugs and oil filters. I just wanted to make you aware.

Last edited:
I've read where many dyno tuners have stated that the stock wires are the best. Many times they will get a bike in with the Screaming Chicken wires or some after-market wires on and they can't get it tuned. If thats the case they usually have a set of stock wires to put on and bingo, they can now tune it.

Back