free website stats program Spark plug socket size | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark plug socket size

Hey guys, Forgive me if it's on here. I used the search function and couldn't find the answer. I have a friend coming over tomorrow and am gonna help him change his oil and plugs. He has an '04 Softail with the 88. What plug socket size does that take? Thanks in advance!

Newer models are 5/8". If you don't have a plug socket with the rubber inside of it, a deep well will work. Hold one hand on the socket to keep it centered to prevent cracking the porcelin.

Jimmy, if you have a 15/16" or 18mm (most metrics use this) sparkplug sockets in your tool box, you can remove the neoprene/foam insert and push it into your deep well 5/8" socket in a pinch...though most autoparts and even local K-mart/Sears/Harbor Freight are pretty close to get proper one.:D

Jimmy, if you have a 15/16" or 18mm (most metrics use this) sparkplug sockets in your tool box, you can remove the neoprene/foam insert and push it into your deep well 5/8" socket in a pinch...though most autoparts and even local K-mart/Sears/Harbor Freight are pretty close to get proper one.:D

Thats a good idea. Thanks man. I will remember that.

I thank you Jack, I never thought of antisieze on plugs but then again most of my work has been on cars..

Last edited by a moderator:
I thank you Jack, I never thought of antisieze on plugs but then again most of my work has been on cars..

Works good there too, been using it for years, makes life a lot easier dont have to use bad words :p

Back