free website stats program Spark plug replacement | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark plug replacement

Little to no difference between plugs other than the state of your wallet. Once the fuel mixture is ignited, it's over. It's just that the platinum tipped and that type last longer but they raise havoc with the ION sensing and usually light a trouble lite. You can run the RA8HC from champ but I stick with the HD plugs, I think they even may be made by Champion too.

Glider any idea why or how the platinum tipped plugs do that??I don't think the iridium or platinum plugs are worth the extra money anyway. I use the Champion RA8HC's in mine because they're $7.00 a pair instead of $7.00 each for the HD, same plug different name, I change em if I foul one or the electrode shows wear or a couple of years whichever comes first.

OK thanks Hobbit, that would do it. heh...iridium would be worth the extra bux in that situation for sure. Like one of my fathers cars...the only way to get at the back bank of plugs was to unbolt the motor mount and tilt the engine foward....needless to say the only time they get checked is when they'res a problem.

Glider any idea why or how the platinum tipped plugs do that??I don't think the iridium or platinum plugs are worth the extra money anyway. I use the Champion RA8HC's in mine because they're $7.00 a pair instead of $7.00 each for the HD, same plug different name, I change em if I foul one or the electrode shows wear or a couple of years whichever comes first.

It's all done through the secondary ignition system of the engine from the coil to the plug.

This will explain it.

ION Sensing Explained - Harley Davidson Community

Wow....whoda thunk it!!! So in other words...to change plugs or wires or both,they pretty much have to have the same resistance as the stock units or you can throw a code. That's really good to know....Man gotta tell ya....there hasn't been a question I've seen yet on this site that wasn't answered in depth and correctly....you guys ROCK!!!!

When I had my 05 springer I went 15k with no problem then changed them out for SE/ splitfire plugs and did notice a little improvement in power

Back