free website stats program Spark plug replacement | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark plug replacement

Was wondering how many of you guys are using genuine H-D plugs - there is a cross reference that my friend uses to change over to Champions I believe the plug is a RA8HC - and if you are using other than H-D plugs I'm curious -do you notice any difference?

Little to no difference between plugs other than the state of your wallet. Once the fuel mixture is ignited, it's over. It's just that the platinum tipped and that type last longer but they raise havoc with the ION sensing and usually light a trouble lite. You can run the RA8HC from champ but I stick with the HD plugs, I think they even may be made by Champion too.

Was wondering how many of you guys are using genuine H-D plugs - there is a cross reference that my friend uses to change over to Champions I believe the plug is a RA8HC - and if you are using other than H-D plugs I'm curious -do you notice any difference?

I run Autolite 4164. No really good reason other than I like em.

Once a week I change the front to the back and back to front to even out the wear sense rear cyl runs hotter.
Not really by the book on both bikes as long as the engine is in good shape no reason to change plugs early
And taking them out for no good reason on a boring Sunday and drop it on the floor means no ride because no one is open to get a new.
Ask me how I know auto lite XS 4164 at a price that will make you think HD is a discount walmart will work in a 07 RG without any codes
Spare set of plugs in garage at all times now

Once a week ?? Smitty, are you not concerned about stripping the aluminum spark plug threads .

Every oil change.

TQ
Are motorcycles realy that much harder on plugs than an automobile? I understand about the heat issue,but is it really necasary to change them so often? They should be good for at least 10,000 miles or better shouldn't they?

No problems with 10K or a bit more on a set of plugs. Once a season would be more than enough unless you put a very large amount of miles on the bike.

Back