free website stats program spark plug indexing? | Harley Davidson Forums

spark plug indexing?

rydahog

Anyone check their spark plug indexing when changing plugs?
What index washers used? any other alternative. thanks ryd :D

I was curious about this , so I looked it up.

The idea of indexing is to position the spark plug so that its gap is facing the center of the cylinder, angled slightly toward the exhaust valve. This is important because, as the piston approaches TDC, the air/fuel charge is being compressed. The charge or "mixture" is being forced toward the area of the spark plug—and normally, the exhaust valve. The speed of this force inside the combustion chamber may surpasses supersonic speeds.

When 1/4 mile times are measured in 1/1000 of a second, every bit helps and that includes marginal ones. This could make the differnce between winning and loosing.

Last edited:
ok thanks for the info..:) i won't be doing any 1/4 mile runs in the near future. so leave well enough alone and be happy with my 44-47 mi per gallon and sweet sound that my bike makes now!! :)

Ok I missunderstood this. I thought a new pug hole was drilled into the heads to get at the sweet spot.

I missed the part about only using a washer underneath the plug.

Smitty I agree with you, total waste of time.

They say if you do the plug indexing and use one of those magnetic collars around the fuel line to align the molecules in the fuel that you can dilute the fuel with 50% water and get over 74 MPG on any V Twin.:D

They say if you do the plug indexing and use one of those magnetic collars around the fuel line to align the molecules in the fuel that you can dilute the fuel with 50% water and get over 74 MPG on any V Twin.:D

You got the link for that magnetic collar.

:bigsmiley22::bigsmiley22::bigsmiley22:

Ok, point made.

I think using a sperated water injector would bump ya to 100 MPG

You got the link for that magnetic collar.

:bigsmiley22::bigsmiley22::bigsmiley22:

Ok, point made.

Ask and you will receive

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices :D:bigsmiley22:

Last edited:
Back