free website stats program Spark plug gap | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark plug gap

I have not heard of any one cleaning the spark plug and filing the electrode in years. I mean in 35 years. If any one wants one I have two Champion Spark Plug service station style cleaners and spark testers for sale. Both of them worked last time I used them. (about 35 years ago). Be a good piece for your nostalgic garage.
kemo

In my many years as an auto tech in a small, privately owned shop, we worked on many 'different' machines - farm tractors, generators, well-drilling rigs, home-made tractors etc. Sometimes the owners would paint themselves into a corner with their ancient powerplants when it came to parts availability, even on something as common as spark plugs. Our wall mounted spark plug sand blaster saw regular usage! *LOL* Just to get the machinery running again! The years I spent there was quite an education in the blend of today and yesterday technology. I had the great pleasure to work with an 'old school mechanic', one who FIXED things, not just replaced parts. He was known far and wide for his talents, tricks and knowledge. He welded and fabricated and reassembled some terribly broken machinery that everyone else said there was no help for. As he told me with a wink in his sparkly eyes, when I first went to work with him... "We can fix anything but a lady's broken heart! Them, we just make 'em forget!" I thank and miss my buddy, Roy B! And yes, he had been a bike rider.... in Europe, during WWII!

Reading the different lines that individuals have taken the time to share on this forum with others can be found no where else on this earth. It was many years ago when an old gentleman (a former HD Factory Racing Mech turned Cop) showed me how to use the "old matchbook and cigarette papers trick" in an emergency to make an old 48 pan head run like a dream. I thought that he was nuts! I was stranded, the bike just wouldn't run but he made it run magically. And then he told me that if I couldn't get 24,000 miles out of a drive chain that I was abusing the machine and didn't deserve to ride it. Then I thought that he was completely crazy.

So many years ago. . .

Back