free website stats program Spark plug gap | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark plug gap

#1 with what Smitty said, Too much time is wasted on spark plugs, unless you are running big inch motors with after market high voltage ignition systems, save your self some valuable riding time and gap the plugs with the correct air gap and ride, coming from a life time of trying all the plug and wire combos out there, HD got it right IMO

Many years ago dad taught me that i could check the plug gap with a cigarette packet and the points gap with a cigarette paper and that worked on British bikes and European and Japanese at that time however since the late 70s Ive had sufficient tools to to keep everything to mid spec ( till last week)

Brian

Many years ago dad taught me that i could check the plug gap with a cigarette packet and the points gap with a cigarette paper and that worked on British bikes and European and Japanese at that time however since the late 70s Ive had sufficient tools to to keep everything to mid spec ( till last week)

Brian

Good tips Fin, a lot of the new guys have not been around points and having to adjust them as well as gaping plugs without the proper tools, :D

That is not true, and I am not saying that it isn't workable. I am saying that it matters, and denying that it matters is nonsense.
This is fact. You admitted that it matters, and it doesn't just matter to huge honking engines. Like most things there are tolerances. So you can be within the tolerance with a match book, but you will not be working at optimum spec for your engine. So to say that it doesn't matter is wrong. Plain and simple. To say you don't care would be a more honest statement.

I for one have witnessed fouled plugs because of to little or to much of a gap. So if you are using tops matches you might be to wide, and if you are using Prince Albert roll up papers you might be to thin. Might as well do it right, and understand why you should be doing it right in the first place.

That is not true, and I am not saying that it isn't workable. I am saying that it matters, and denying that it matters is nonsense.
This is fact. You admitted that it matters, and it doesn't just matter to huge honking engines. Like most things there are tolerances. So you can be within the tolerance with a match book, but you will not be working at optimum spec for your engine. So to say that it doesn't matter is wrong. Plain and simple. To say you don't care would be a more honest statement.

I for one have witnessed fouled plugs because of to little or to much of a gap. So if you are using tops matches you might be to wide, and if you are using Prince Albert roll up papers you might be to thin. Might as well do it right, and understand why you should be doing it right in the first place.

Remember way back when we had a fouled plug or points give up and had no gap tool, This is what is real time real world from all of us old timers been there done that, While you are correct on modern machines, the old tried and trued method got us home many a time

Remember way back when we had a fouled plug or points give up and had no gap tool, This is what is real time real world from all of us old timers been there done that, While you are correct on modern machines, the old tried and trued method got us home many a time

As my bikes are not the latest models i do have a wee bit of lee way in some areas and perhaps a bucket full of experience at keeping a bike going when i wants to quit

Brian

As my bikes are not the latest models i do have a wee bit of lee way in some areas and perhaps a bucket full of experience at keeping a bike going when i wants to quit

Brian

My point exactly:D

I am confused. Did the OP start out saying he was stranded? I don't remember. I think if I was stranded a key or a pocket knife would do just fine. I wonder how you think I haven't been in situations like that before, or exactly what motorcycles and cars I have in my garage?

You think age alone gives you experience? While true in most cases.. You cannot leave out the experiences of others because they are not using a cane..

Regardless. You have taken this to a place I do not understand. Your giving advice to someone who asks for specs on plug gap, but give the worst case scenario of being stranded. Although in my tool bag I have my plugs pre gapped just in case I need to change them on the road. Oh! Must be a young guy thing to be prepared with pre gapped plugs, or to even have plugs with them while out on the road. I get it now. I am to young and dumb to understand that you can use a rock to kill something.. DOH!

Sorry.

A pack of matches is .025 on the cover, back when you had points that was helpful. As far as the plug goes, if your not racing .040. If you are dial them in with a washer to point the spark towards the valves so you can get a blink of an eye faster. Stock you won't notice. All was good info though! Take it all in and do what works best with your bike.

I am confused. Did the OP start out saying he was stranded? I don't remember. I think if I was stranded a key or a pocket knife would do just fine. I wonder how you think I haven't been in situations like that before, or exactly what motorcycles and cars I have in my garage?

You think age alone gives you experience? While true in most cases.. You cannot leave out the experiences of others because they are not using a cane..

Regardless. You have taken this to a place I do not understand. Your giving advice to someone who asks for specs on plug gap, but give the worst case scenario of being stranded. Although in my tool bag I have my plugs pre gapped just in case I need to change them on the road. Oh! Must be a young guy thing to be prepared with pre gapped plugs, or to even have plugs with them while out on the road. I get it now. I am to young and dumb to understand that you can use a rock to kill something.. DOH!

Sorry.

ouch. lol no harm meant:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you have a really messed up engine or tune ,that is unheard of today.

Yeah.. Tell that to the guys who ride the Virago's because they cannot afford a Harley. That guy use to be me when I was younger. Or the guy who runs dirt bikes through oil lanes. Yeah. That was me too. Always carry plugs. Has got me home many times, and I bet one day, I will be glad I have them with me with this bike as well. Regardless of what year or what injection system it has on it. Also if for nothing else to help a fellow biker on his way if they need one. Hmm. From the way it sounds that might be you.

Why if HD had recommend this spread for so long on so many models has it not caused a problem. And if it is such a big deal what number should a rider pick, the high end the low end the middle? Should the rider pull the plugs and try each setting on a dyno until they find the best for there bike?

Read the article I posted, or look it up yourself. You know more than I do.

Back