free website stats program Sounds like its missing | Harley Davidson Forums

Sounds like its missing

Fourdogs

Ok heres the story. I have a 2004 RK. Has the 96 stage 2 upgrade. Runs a power commander II . Does not set any codes. As you can hear however sound like its missing. Will settle out in anywheres from 2 to sometimes as much as 7/8 minutes. Here pics of the plugs front and read cylinders. Also ya can hear it if I did this properly. What cha guys think? plug wires ? oh yeah its got 54,000 plus miles on her.

YouTube - sound like its missing big time

jpg.gif Front Cylinder.jpg (34.1 KB)

jpg.gif rear cylinder.jpg (28.4 KB)

Attachments

• Front Cylinder.jpg
    Front Cylinder.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 27
  • rear cylinder.jpg
    rear cylinder.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 26
Plug tips or wire ends loose? Find out which cylinder it is and chedk the resistance in the plug wire for that cylinder. Plugs look good but it could be an internal short that clears with more heat. Tune it up and it will probably run fine, plugs and wires, remember it's an 04 and have you changed the wires yet?

Is it a 96 or a 95 (typo)

Always photograph a plug showing the rear of the ground strap to identify the heat range of the plug as being right.

Try it with the PC disconnected?

Watch for the deposits on the ground strap of the left pic too.

Last edited:
I agree with Glider I would start simple with new wires and see how it runs

I'd say you definately have a miss there. I'm suprised one of the plugs wasn't wet or very dark. Plugs and wires are cheap....start there. Magnecor makes a great plug wire.

Thank you gentleman...ok will replace plugs and wires...I have never replaced the plug wires. so that will be the first step. Then of course plugs as well. BTW the plugs had 4,327 miles on them. Will let y'all know what happens.

I'd say you definately have a miss there. I'm suprised one of the plugs wasn't wet or very dark. Plugs and wires are cheap....start there. Magnecor makes a great plug wire.

Have to be careful with aftermarket wires because of the ION sensing in these bikes. It can set a code.

While you are replacing the wires and plugs (hopefully just use the stock HD ones, they are fine for stocker applications and for ION sensing as Glider says)...replace the plastic flip clips...they get brittle and crumble (I have a 2004 too...) and wires should come already "pre-dressed" with possibly all the protective plastic sheathng and boots assembled for just quick plug and play replacement...check with the dealer to be sure.

Back