free website stats program Sound of the original harleys | Harley Davidson Forums

Sound of the original harleys

recharge

I pulled up beside a 1992 harley and what I noticed is the sound of it idling and compared to my 11 eg mine ran alot smoother. My question is the difference between the fuel injection and carburetor or was there a different cam used? I do like the sound of a older harley idling.

Many differences between the 92 and the 11 HD's such as cam, induction type and above all the idle speed. Your bike idles at 1000 RPM +/- whaeras that bike was usually set to idle around 750 +/-. Big difference in engines too.

The main reason the fuel injected bikes idle high it to keep all the electronics going at a specified operating voltage. Carbed bike don't have this issue. You can idle it down to a slow lope BUT you may be starving the top end of oil.

I can't always tell from the saddle, but I hear stuff from friends.

Betty has lots of engine mods, but I cannot honestly say I hear a faster idle. In fact, my dyno run sheet shows the curves beginning at somewhere around 600 to 800 RPM.

You could also make the case against that idea. One of the regulars at the Harley shop is a woman who rides a full-dress bike (and I mean 'full') and she also works for Gates, the company that makes Gilmer belts.

While she had absolutely no idea what I had done to Betty, her first comment was, "It sounds 'cammy'..."

Granted, she works around bikes all day long. And being the thick-headed idiot I am, I've watched my mechanic drive my bike and other than the thump of a V-Twin, I don't hear a thing.

Air/fuel ratio and timing also play a part. My '92 sounds soooo much better at idle than my '07, even though the idle speed is around 900. ESPECIALLY when I pull the choke knob out.
My shovelhead will idle so slow, you can hear each cyl. fire. The timing on it is retarded because it's kick start only.

Last edited:
I miss the "potato, potato, potato" idle of my '05. What I do not miss is fooling with the enricher and the fuel cut off.

Back