free website stats program Sore upper back after long ride | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sore upper back after long ride

Personally I dont think your problem is related to your bike in any way. Your original post stated it took a week for the spasms to start. No way...you would notice it while riding and immediately thereafter in my opinion.

Get the bike fitted to you and yes, handle bars fitten to you will help. Back rest does help allot. When I ride, I'm relaxed and have confidence in my skills and bike. Sometimes if you are tense and don't have the confidence, your muscles between the shoulder blades will tighten up and fell like they are tearing. Really, I'm not kidding you. So, relax, enjoy the ride. Get to know your bike and get the confidence. Seems to be more of an issue with new riders, and when you get a new bike, still feeling out the bike and it's charactistices.
Ugly John

Serioulsy folks...a week later? Makes no sense at all. I've had my share of back problems and muscle spasms and if it was the bike don't you think he would have felt it at the time and not 7 days later?

Personally I dont think your problem is related to your bike in any way. Your original post stated it took a week for the spasms to start. No way...you would notice it while riding and immediately thereafter in my opinion.

I gotta agree with doc. When I take long rides, the second I get off the bike I feel the pressure throughout my back. I will usually get spasms within a day, but usually after doing something like reaching into the top shelf of the closet or trying to pick up something off the floor. Granted, the bike may have contributed to your back issue, but I think it's just a small piece of the puzzle.

LarryMiller, lots of good suggestions, try rolling back your apes, adjusting your foot/handcontrols properly (amazing what raising or lowering the brake/shift pedals and rotating/adjusting them) properly helps. After you recover from the muscle spasm ordeal (been there) I do a small amount of "crunch" excercises on a rug with a small 3" mini, under-inflated soccer ball in the small of my back to help strengthen my low back muscles.

You may want to add to your upgrade list 1.) Mid footrests, I use Kuryakyn Mini-Wings $99 per Hobbit's tip and they are great (less weight on your tail, more support with weight closer to center of gravity); 2.) Heritage bars per Glider have been done by many riders with great success; 3.) Rider backrest, approx. $220 new, fits your bike, easy to install and based on a previous thread elsewhere, not as cheap as 2x4 plank and pillow, but certainly worth the cost and look criteria...(does your seat have mod to add one already)? JMO

Last edited:
All great tips. I'm getting the Heritage bars, and I agree that being a new rider after many years of not riding while raising a family, and a Road King is a pretty big bike, I was not as relaxed as as I will be when I get better at riding my new bike. It really gets better each ride. I have been practicing my tight circles and the bike is getting broken in and I'm getting used to the clanking and clunking that are normal. Thanks again for your tips.

Back