soon to be new harley owner

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by overtheroad82, Feb 11, 2009.

1. overtheroad82

overtheroad82 Member

Well I finally made the switch between sport bikes to harley. Going to be picking up my 09 fxd in a week or two and had a question for someone that could help me. I have always loved the look of "drag" bars and want to get some for my bike. After sitting on the dyna at the dealer I really liked the hand position of the stock bars but don't like the look of them. Can anyone tell me what rise and pull back and center section size i would need to get them in the same position as stock? I would like to get some bars ordered before i go pick the bike up. :cheers

2. WHM1

WHM1 Junior Member

I can not answer your bar question but welcome to the Harley Family :cheers

3. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

You say you like the feel of the bars,but not the look of them.My suggestion is to leave it alone for a few weeks after you get it,you may find that the look grows on you and if it does you have saved yourself some moneyJMO

4. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I'm with everyone else. Don't do anything to a new bike, especially since it's your first Harley. Ride it a bit and get used to its personality and unique characteristics. Then you can make rational decisions about what you want to add/change/modify.

5. overtheroad82

overtheroad82 Member

Quick question. How exactly does the rear seat attach? Wondering because when give the girlfriend a ride and am done i want to take the back seat off. I know it might be a dumb question but i would like to know before i go get the bike. FYI it's a fxd and the dealer is putting on forward controls and passenger seat and foot pegs.

6. swt1162

swt1162 New Member

I installed drag bars on my 1994 dyna FXR yesterday, pullbacks and hight are all what you perfer and most bars will have a 3.5" spread and are pretty universal. The bars I got were not necessarily for my bike but they fit just fine and look alot better than the bars that came on the bike.

7. cowjammer

cowjammer Active Member

I'd go to the rack of bars at youre local dealer and try them on a bike that matches youres. Be careful not to scratch any thing and enjoy the ODD looks you get !

8. 06SuperG

06SuperG Member

Welcome to the forum from Iowa.
    Leave the bars until you get used to the bike.
    Happy riding.

9. shrini23

shrini23 Member

Welcome to H.O.G family.
    You'll have pride when you ride in one...
    Happy & safe ridin

10. overtheroad82

overtheroad82 Member