free website stats program sometimes noisey lifter | Harley Davidson Forums

sometimes noisey lifter

whitewall

I have 2000 Roadking, Every now and then I have a noisy lifter. If I let the bike sit for a week or 2 when I first start it, last 4 about a minute and goes away. ?

Being that the bike is 15 yrs old I would replace them all. While you are there you may want to go with Adj. Push Rods also. Also replace your cam bearings and chain tensioners. In short rebuild the nose cone for your liking.
tourbox

I have to POST the same old Question First...

What is the Build Date? located on the down tube sticker...

IF any date year saying Dec.99 Not good Unless changed... Any month date saying 00 it is good... Answer me here First then I'll go into detail...

signed....BUBBIE

You didn't mention mileage but a 2000 model could have some serious miles rolled up. If so, cut to the chase and upgrade the cam chest.

Replace the OEM tensioners with the CYCO tensioners, upgrade the inner and outer cam bearings, replace the oil pump with a higher flow/capacity piece and throw in a set of Andrews 26 or S&S 509 cams while you are in there. Not a bank breaker and all good for many miles to come with a nice bump in performance.

You also did not mention if the motor was carbed or EFI or already upgraded to Stage I. If not upgraded to Stage I, include that as part of the project and tuning will need to be addressed one way or another by a fueler or a flash tuner/dyno.

Looks like you have a project on your hands.:s

Thanks for the help. Has 22,000 on it. I have had it for 2 yrs. In 07 it had motor work piston set 3-7/8 std -4.5 Andrews cam 88-TW55 and new heads. I don't know how many miles it had on it when it was done. Manufactured 06-2000 Only does it on cold starts if I don't ride for a week or 2 or if I haul it in my trailer,weird.

Consider your bike a Late model 00 bike... Stock, it came with the needed upgrades...

With all that has been done with that bike, Just changing the lifters Might be a good thing...

I could put up with a rattle from the lifter. Problem I would have is to Find the faulty one.....:small3d023:

Lifters in today HD's, are not of good quality, not lasting long.

IF you have a noisy lifter and want an easy way out, buy a new set of lifters Sug; SnS standards will do good ... about 130ish $ for 4..

Not uncommon for a lifter to bleed down in a week or two BUT I have not had that problem for many years.
I have replaced my 09 king lifters several times over the bought from new bike.

Preesently using Delphi from Don Dorfman (head porter up in Wa. State)

I have had Good lifters in that bike as they were "B" lifteers. Todays HD AND replacements by HD are "C" lifters made in Mexico and Not the best quality.

Why HD doesn't put in or go back to the "B" lifters is beyond me...

Lifters can easily come out*** and IF they are in OK shape, and just one bleeds down to make your annoying TAP problem on start up.

***Taken apart and cleaned... Just a Minute piece of carbon/dirt may have gotten inside and allows it to Bleed down sitting and Not pumping up like a clean/not worn out lifter does... They ALL can bleed down but usually early to pump up when first oil pressured up starting motor...

One of the Best Oil Filters IS a Lifter... What dirt goes in Doesn't come out Unless taken apart and cleaned.

By far, a new set is the easiest... IF you have good oil pressure and use a quality oil... 20/50 synthetic is good Unless in a Cold area then there aree options...

Oil is like a Religion you know,,,,, The one you believe IN is the one to Use...

Good luck finding the tic... I'd still go the new route...:D

signed....BUBBIE

Are you sure it is a lifter tick and not an exhaust leak?

Thanks for the help. Has 22,000 on it. I have had it for 2 yrs. In 07 it had motor work piston set 3-7/8 std -4.5 Andrews cam 88-TW55 and new heads. I don't know how many miles it had on it when it was done. Manufactured 06-2000 Only does it on cold starts if I don't ride for a week or 2 or if I haul it in my trailer,weird.

Not sure what ther -4.5 means but more importantly, any work done in the cam chest in '07? At 22K I would check the tensioners if OEM just for peace of mind and if they look good, no worries but change them to the CYCO tensioners ASAP.

Agree with Bubbie's comments on lifter tic; live with it or find the offender and replace.:s

Back