free website stats program Something to check out? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Something to check out?

Joy,

Depending on what they (the construction folks) are doing, can have a big impact on the "rideability" of the road. Around here (Houston area in TX), they "groove" the concrete before they repave the surface with asphalt. While the road is all grooved up, riding on it is like that carnival ride where the floor moves back and forth. I hate that on my Ultra since the bike is kinda top-heavy anyway. Have had the same sort of spooky feeling when the wheels get in one of those straight line cracks between the concrete slabs. Really do not like that.

TQ

Thanks, I rode that stretch of road several times & can't seem to hit it the same way to make the bike feel weird, or shake. I'm glad too, it was just different, caught me off guard.

I don't have the engine guard or highway pegs, so I don't have to do that. :s. I am convinced that it was just the way I was angled on the road.

I did get out for a few miles on the new tires. So far, it's all good. I like the ride & feel of the Metzlers. Of course, after comparing the new tire with the old tire, I might like anything with tread. :s I thought I still had a little life left in the old tire, but after looking at a new tire, (same tire, just new) and looking at my old tire, I am glad it's gone. But overall, I think the bike has a better ride, (again, may just be the thickness of the tire), and I do feel a bit more comfortable in the turns. Of course this is based on about 30 miles. Hubby got to ride it a bit tonight, he really likes my bike :s and he didn't feel anything funky. He put it to a bit more of a test than I do also, but; then again, he has quite a bit more experience than I do. :D

Joy,

I am sure they warned you about this at the shop, but you need to be more aware of slick spots on the road and make sure you are not riding into turns too hard while the tires are spankin' new. I think they suggest about 100 mile break in before rollin' on hard. Something to do with the protectant they put on the tires to preserve them before use.

TQ

Thanks for that info TQ, I was warned, but as chicken as I am when I make changes, I'll probably go 300 miles 'extra cautious' . I will really pay close attention to how the bike 'feels' and I think I will know when it is 'normal' again. Heading back to OH on Friday, so I hope to get some riding in over the weekend. (Hope we didn't spend all these glorious days in WV to return to rain). Nah, that's okay to. :D

Back