free website stats program Something to check out? | Harley Davidson Forums

Something to check out?

Joyflyin

Experienced Member
Staff member
Okay, I got spooked the other night. Here's what happened. I was on my way home, @ 8:30 pm, not dark yet, so visibility was good. I was running about 40 mph and felt a vibration in the handle bars. I didn't hear anything unusual, but earlier in the evening, I thought I heard/felt something vibrating on through the pegs. I am going down to get my new Metzler tires on Monday, and thought I would have the guys at the shop double check things for me.

Here's what I am thinking, I may have been in a groove on the road with some wobbles in it. Or, something scary was nearly avoided....I didn't feel any control issues, it was brief, and I couldn't seem to make it happen again, but I only road @ 4 miles home & parked.

I checked the spokes, didn't feel anything unusual, checked for loose nuts & bolts I could see, and it was all okay. Maybe nothing, but just thought I would check to see if there is something that it could be that I couldn't see. :bigsmiley21:

Thanks

Wow, sounds like you've checked everything I would have. Hopefully someone with many more miles of experience than me will jump in here with some suggestions.

How about going back to the same stretch of road in the full daylight and looking for the grooves or seeing if it happens again there but nowhere else?

Good luck!

I did forget to mention, that is my plan, after the rain stops again. I have to sit around & wait on the phone to ring this weekend, (stand by for work), but I may sneak out tomorrow, or worse case, Monday, it's the same route to my shop. It just felt weird, and any kind of weird stuff scares me a bit! I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks, I just wanted reassurance. :s I'd hate to tear up me & the bike.

only thing i would say is as above go back and look at it course ya said its raining so its hard to do

Joy - if it's only 4 miles, I'd go out in the car if it's raining and still take a look at that section of road. The sooner you can pin it down to a road condition and not something on your bike, the better you'll sleep!

Joy - if it's only 4 miles, I'd go out in the car if it's raining and still take a look at that section of road. The sooner you can pin it down to a road condition and not something on your bike, the better you'll sleep!

Thats a excellent ideal

Funny, I was thinking the same thing late last night! Weather is still a little iffy for me, but I have to run out and was going to go by and look at it. Also, I have been thinking, there has been a lot of construction vehicles in that area lately, they would be slowing down to make the turn in to the lot where they are building. I'm thinking the extra weight has caused more of a groove & the slow going probably made it like a washboard. I'll let you know this afternoon!

Back