free website stats program Something just isnt right.....'03 RKC | Harley Davidson Forums

Something just isnt right.....'03 RKC

Amish Hawg

Contributor
Hope ya'll had a great weekend riding...........I tried. But when momma says the bike isnt sounding right after I tried to convince myself it was ok, I figure now, I gotta ask.

Something like 99RKC in the Piston Slapping Post, my 03 RKC just isnt right.

The hotter she gets, the noisier she is coming from the top end. I checked the primary chain, all good, oil levels good and new. Its an '03 RKC, stage one, Hooker slip ons.......nothing else. 32500 miles

If I had to say what it sounded like, I would say it sounds like a slight clattering from the top end of the engne. Power is good, everything, performance wise is the same........its just noisier over the past 2-3 weeks. It may not be getting louder in truth, but now that its engrained in my mind, I dont even hear my pipes

Momma and I went for a ride today - SHE made me turn around saying something's just not right.

I'm not loaded with tools, but I can muddle my way through things.......Is my best bet just taking her in and telling my Indy to poke her a little and tell me what my next step is? Im looking at the manual.....I THINK I can do it, but Im a tad leery digging in deep.

Im thinking either 1) ride till she acts up performance wise ( which may be just stupid) or 2) take her in

any input will be, as always, appreciated.

Ya'll have a great week.

Hope ya'll had a great weekend riding...........I tried. But when momma says the bike isnt sounding right after I tried to convince myself it was ok, I figure now, I gotta ask.

The hotter she gets, the noisier she is coming from the top end. I checked the primary chain, all good, oil levels good and new. Its an '03 RKC, stage one, Hooker slip ons.......nothing else. 32500 miles

If I had to say what it sounded like, I would say it sounds like a slight clattering from the top end of the engne. Power is good, everything, performance wise is the same........its just noisier over the past 2-3 weeks. It may not be getting louder in truth, but now that its engrained in my mind, I dont even hear my pipes

Hows the oil pressure? And what kind of fuel management are you running?

If the cam chain tensioners have not been replace you are in the window where they should be checked. I know you said it sounds like it's coming from the top end but sound can travel and fool you. It not much to take the nose cover off and take a look.

If the cam chain tensioners have not been replace you are in the window where they should be checked. I know you said it sounds like it's coming from the top end but sound can travel and fool you. It not much to take the nose cover off and take a look.

HDDon makes a good point I keep forgetting about the cam chain tensioners.

MY thinking is maybe one or more lifters going south...

Can you hear smoooooth clatter like All are making the noise or is it sounding like One only? Tapping......?

Oil pressure is a Must to check. IF it has dropped off , unless you install a gauge to go with the Idiot Light, you have no way of telling where it is.

I have always had the simple HD gauge that mounts on the rear head rocker cover.. Easy to install... all for about 89$

I like seeing my pressure once and a while.:s

signed....BUBBIE

Oil Pressure - dont know, its EFI. I'll spend the week studyin up on cam tensioners. Will ponder the thought of doing it myself.

No, never had them replaced or looked at.

If I go Rambo and do it myself......yes, I will be houndin ya'll. I have two weeks before my San Antonio run.

Have a great evenin'.....and thanks!!

Don't ride it until you determine the issue. If tensioners have gone, the pieces can take out your pump. From there it is all bad.

Enjoy,
Rich P

When checking the cam tensioners don't forget that there are 2 of them. The first one is obvious when you pull off the cam cover but there is a second one behind the cam plate. You can usually see it with a small dental mirror. Like Ribeye said you do NOT want the tensioners to fail on you!
WAP.gif

A quick, easy check for tensioners is to remove and cut the oil filter apart. If you find lots of orange bits, you need to go farther. Removing the cam cover will also expose the orange pieces in the chest. Whatever you find, thank your wife. She's got a good ear.

Back