free website stats program Something I found intresting | Harley Davidson Forums

Something I found intresting

Did ya know that if you brake of the pin that comes off the frame that holds the spring for you kick stand .They total your bike. Cause the have to replace your whole frame cause HD does not warranty anything that is welded to the frame. And does not want you to weld to your frame. I almost did that on my Nightster.Lucky for me I only chopped the spring!

That is why I have installed the center stand on my EG. It works great, and when parked in the garage it takes up less room.

Yeah insureance is crazy. One of my buddys friends let his buddy ride his brand new 1200 c that had 500 miles on it. The buddy was trying to show off to his wife and gunned the throttle. He went threw the front yard, down the curb ,up the other curb across the street and hit a parked car! Bent both wheels , forks ,and frame. HD gave him a brake cause the bike was so new and basiclly totalled. Hd restamped and new frame with his original vin so his title wouldn't be a salvage title. He was lucky!

I asked my welder brotherinlaw about this problem.

When you weld anything to the frame, the heat destroys the temper/tensile strength of the metal around the weld , thus potenially weakening/cracking the frame when under stress from hard accelleration.
Insurance companies would rather write off a $20,000 bike than face a $1,000,000 law suite from an accident resulting from an after market weld.

Harley has a tool for repairing that.It's a fixture with a drill bushing that attaches to the frame and allows you to drill,tap and install a new spring tab.It even comes with the drill bit and correct tap.They won't sell it to the dealer but they will lend it to you.Does a nice job of fixing it too.

That is why I have installed the center stand on my EG. It works great, and when parked in the garage it takes up less room.

Do they make a center stand for a Harley, it would make it so convenient. I hate the jiffy side stand because it is so hard to catch with your boot, and engage, leans way over prone to tip overs because the fork locks only to the left and not the right so you cannot just "park" you bike when you find an open space here in SoCal :bigsmiley22:

Yeah you heard right, there real, but rare parking spaces here, not just gridlock! :bigsmiley24:

Read back some post you see this is just another ubran legen and not ture.
But yes HD does make an add on center stand but only for baggers is my understanding.

Come to think of it, how do Harleys fare in San Francisco, with all the steep hills...it must kinda suck...are there any HDT guys who deal with this on a regular basis?:newsmile108:

Back