free website stats program Something better then Dunlop? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Something better then Dunlop?

OK so bad question of which brand I guess. Seems there are different opinions on that. What about sizing? Am I limited by what the wheel is or do I have different choices there? I'll go ahead and post what is on the OEM tire (Front - Dunlop 402F MT 90B16 M/C 72H) (Back - Dunlop 402 90B16 M/C 74H)

I am clueless about bike tires, but from this info can you tell if I can go any wider on the rear tire or do I need a different rim as well?

That is what my bike calls for ('03 UC). But I put some MU85B16's on (like they put on the '04s and above) because I wanted a bit wider tire (140 instead of 130) with a little higher load rating (77H). There is no interference problem with that small amount of width increase, and the 85% makes it about the same diameter as the MTs.

If you go much more than that, not only will you need a new rim, but may need new wider swingarm, tins, and other stuff to accomodate the wider tire.

I have now just switched to Avon Venoms based on the problems with the Dunlop D402s that I experienced personally. If folks have Dunlops (probably 95% or more baggers at least), I suggest that they inspect the tread patter religiously (like every week) to ensure they do not see a split in the water groove. I was shocked to see one in my rear tire!! Would not have thought to check if I had not read what Steve07 posted a month or so ago.

TQ

Last edited:
Dunlops......53,000 miles ..04 RK.....been to the east and west coast ..rode deals gap a few times..so for me its always been the Dunlop OEM....Maybe there are better i guess...but these are good enough for me...and lots of other folks according to the Tire poll....Mine don't get a chance to dry rot...lol..oh i get 10 k on the rear and 20 k plus on the front..Live in Missouri so not real extreme heat...but dang the grooves in the highway system here is a killer...i am not sure...but i do believe the groove are hurting tire millage....but have NO proof to back that up.

The go fast crowd like Hobbit and Sleddog like Avons from other posts, the medium fast crowd like your's truly likes the Metzlers on my HD with fine results feeling very "planted" in the knarly stuff with good recovery from sliding around, something I would not consider doing on Dunlops, though they wear extremely well if you want maximum long distance touring mileage. Going to wider tires affects the bike by making it want to "stand-up" when going in turns at speed, and slightly more steering input to hold a line, while noticeable is not a problem. But like TQ says, do not go much over 1 size or things as tire rubbing swingarm or profile changing due to bead area "pinching" actually affects handling and makes traction less.

Oh...part of my like for Metzlers, is they were my choice on my Metric shafty touring bike I put about 35,000 miles on, and yes I did like and use with very good results Dunlop radials on my recent Katana sportbike about 23,000 miles on it, so brand name and type are not necessarily the reason, but riding style in another time, application and place in my riding experience is.

Bottom line, learn to ride within the level your equipment and experience allows, exploring the limts only occasionally to find out where they are AND only in controlled conditions, never above 8/10s safety zone and two-up for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
I love this forum. Class act from beginning to end. Thanks to all who made this forum what it is..... a great resource for one and all.

Stock Dunlops for my 06 Softail Std. are my vote. I have tried Metzler 880's a couple of times now for the front and rear. While stickier the 880's wear out so fast I can't justify the additional cost.

Admittedly I no longer try to hammer around the "twisties" as in days gone by primarily because I am old, slow and the bike wasn't designed for that stuff anyway. The stock tires work pretty well for me.
Thanks to all for sharing your experience.

I got 12K-14K out of my stock Dunlop rear tires. I did some long rides in some pretty bad rain and they held the road nicely.

When it was time to change the front tire at about 28K, I went with Metzler Marthon's as they are supposed to get more miles out of them.

So far I am happy with them but there is a differance. The Metzler's are made with a harder compound so they are not as sticky as a softer tire would be. That hasn't been an issue and I tend to ride pretty hard. They do make more road noise and that took some getting used to. At first I thought there was a problem with the bike. I also seem to drag the rear during heavy braking more than I did with the OEM tires.

I only have a few 1000 miles on the tires so I'll have to wait until next summer to see what kind of mileage I gt out of them.

Avon's are softer and if your into real hard riding and cornering they are probably a better choice.

Like others have said, it depends on what you are looking for. High milage or racing traction.

On my '08 Ultra I got 27K miles before I had to change the front. On the rear I have gone thru 3 tires (one was a blow-out @ 60 mph) and am ready for #4 at 31K. The only reason I run Dunlop's is to preserve the warranty, ABS needs the stock tire according to the MOCO. Once the warranty is up I may try a different brand, but I can't complain about these tires. I ride in all weather here in New England, into December and start again in March.

I've been running Avon Venom on both bikes, 94 FLSTC, and 05 FLTRI. Changed the belt on the softail so I could put a 150 on rear. I think dunlop makes a good tire but I've never gotten the milage out of them that I get with the Avons. Add to this that IMO the avons are a better rain tire and because of the sport profile of the Avon a much better handling tire. When I put the first set of Avons on the softail it felt like I dropped 100lbs. from the bike. I never got more than 6000mi on a rear dunlop, I've never gotten less than 10,000 on the Avon.

heres a suggestion, I just bought a set of new MAXXIS bias ply BW tires for my 2000 RK, and believe it or not, these tires are awesome and the price is right. These tire are manufactured by the same people who make cheng shen performance tires. They hold the road in both wet and dry conditions. And the ride is great. I was previously running Avon Venoms.. no comparison !!
If you are interested in more info on where to get some, PM me and i will give you web site addy. They will ship directly to your door and are guaranteed.
I got both front and back for under $170.00 bucks

heres a suggestion, I just bought a set of new MAXXIS bias ply BW tires for my 2000 RK, and believe it or not, these tires are awesome and the price is right. These tire are manufactured by the same people who make cheng shen performance tires. They hold the road in both wet and dry conditions. And the ride is great. I was previously running Avon Venoms.. no comparison !!
If you are interested in more info on where to get some, PM me and i will give you web site addy. They will ship directly to your door and are guaranteed.
I got both front and back for under $170.00 bucks

Is that each or for both?

I'd almost be scared to run something that cost so little, at least on the bike.

You'll have to let us know who they hold up after a few thousand miles.

Back