Something better then Dunlop?

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by prodaytrader, Aug 16, 2009.

1. prodaytrader

prodaytrader Member

Time for new tires. My brother in law says he knows of a better brand of tire then Dunlop, but hasn't told me yet since he doesn't have access to his bike at the moment. I wanted to get some opinions on what tire to go with. I can post the existing tire info if needed but they are OEM Dunlops on a 16 inch stock spoked rim. I'm pretty sure I would need a new wheel if I wanted a fatter rear tire, but is there any chance I can go bigger or better then the OEM standard Dunlops? What size tire and brand would work best for me? Road King Classic '03.

I lucked out and met a kid in the neighborhood today that is a 2nd year student at MTI bike school. He tells me that not only does he know a guy that can get me a deal on any tire I want, but his class will mount them for free. I guess as long as an instructor is in the area I don't have too much of a problem with them doing the work. I know Harley has a standard garage rate of 90 bucks an hour so getting someone else to do the work seems like a heck of a deal especially at free. Think I would be ok with these kids doing the work or would I be better off having Harley do it? My in law says I should go ahead and have them install chrome front forks while they have the tire off. Sound reasonable as well?

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

3. HD-Enthusiast

HD-Enthusiast Member

I respectfully dis-agree with you.....I have used about every tire there is for bikes....Dunlops arent the worst but they are far from the top....given the choice of a free Dunlop or paying $150 for an AVON,I would go with the AVON...that said,it really depends on how/where you ride...Dunlops dont begin to handle the twisties like an AVON or Metzeler...highway/city riding you probably wont notice any difference..also,I got about 8k out of my last (rear) Dunlop before it was slick...got 6k + on my AVONS with hardly any noticable wear...:rider

4. HD-Enthusiast

HD-Enthusiast Member

The 'Tire debate' will never be won by either side....my advise is to buy a quality name brand tire...whatever anyone chooses,I wish them the best...

:rider

5. RetiredJake

RetiredJake Junior Member

On my '08 Ultra, got a little over 13K on the last rear tire, have almost 25K on the front, and it looks like it will make 30K easy. These are the stock Dunlops. I agree that we will always disagree, but I like them.

6. jody7734

jody7734 Active Member

I've always been a metzler fan. I hope they put out wide white walls for the '09s soon.

7. prodaytrader

prodaytrader Member

OK so bad question of which brand I guess. Seems there are different opinions on that. What about sizing? Am I limited by what the wheel is or do I have different choices there? I'll go ahead and post what is on the OEM tire (Front - Dunlop 402F MT 90B16 M/C 72H) (Back - Dunlop 402 90B16 M/C 74H)

I am clueless about bike tires, but from this info can you tell if I can go any wider on the rear tire or do I need a different rim as well?

8. Mr. Westfield

Mr. Westfield Banned

My experiance wit Dunlops is that they rot out before they wear out.

A bit too hard for my liking.

I am putting a set of Metzlers on next week. Marathon 880's.

You just can't go wrong with them!

9. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

I got around 15k on the rear and 30k on the front with the D402's on my 04 Ultra. I bought a 09 Ultra in January and already had to change the front D407f at 11k because of cupping. It had plenty of tread left, but was cupped too bad. The back D407 looks to make around 15k though. Smitty901: Why flip the rotors? Am I missing something?

10. glider

glider Veteran Member

That was Harleys cure for noisy front brakes . The one marked left goes to the right and visa versa.