free website stats program Some Random Questions - help please! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Some Random Questions - help please!

Jack,
I tossed the original seal when I did my 1K service . . . I've got the cover off now and gently extracted the seal from the groove . . . it appears to be in good order. I'll be finishing it up tonight and trying out the new and improved adjusted clutch . . . hopefully I don't have it with too little free play on the clutch . . . we'll see tonight or tomorrow.

Mark - Thanks!:newsmile026:

:s Ya got to love doing your own wrenching:s Use some Antisieze on the derby cover bolts and a dab with a Q tip behind the captive washers:s

:s Ya got to love doing your own wrenching:s Use some Antisieze on the derby cover bolts and a dab with a Q tip behind the captive washers:s

Jack,
Thanks - got the anti-seize applied . . . an interesting twist is that although I extracted the seal carefully from a cold engine and put it on a flat surface it has expanded just enough to make it impossible to put back into the groove. My thinking on how to manage this one is to put it in the freezer for a couple of hours and then try installing it . . . if heat expands it - then shouldn't cold contract it? Or at least it might stiffen it up just enough to make it easy to put back in the groove . . . it's like playing wack'o mole with with a slippery snake . . . .
And yes, I'm enjoying wrenching on my machine . . . I can solve the worlds problems with wrench and a beer . . . haha!

My thinking on how to manage this one is to put it in the freezer for a couple of hours and then try installing it . . . if heat expands it - then shouldn't cold contract it?

I'm pretty sure I've read of others here using that trick and they say it works!

I've had some luck using vaseline dabbed along the way as I insert the seal to help hold it to get the cover on! And that's with a q-tip! $0.02!

I've had some luck using vaseline dabbed along the way as I insert the seal to help hold it to get the cover on! And that's with a q-tip! $0.02!

I did my clutch adjustment, and its certainly not as loose as it was before. However, it starts to engage much 'later' than I'd like. Instead of starting to feel the engine engage about 1/3 of the way its right at 1/2 way (clutch lever travel that is . . .) So how can I start the release a little close to the handlebar about 1/3 or 1/4 travel? I must say that clutch feels a lot smoother for sure . . but I like to have some bite sooner . . . .
Also - I learned from a parts guy @ the H-D to use 'Dawn' soap to clean the rubber gasket that is used on the derby cover - it seems to help it shrink . . . . freezing didn't work that well . . . I created a temporary gasket only to be used while I'm adjusting my clutch by cuting the gasket and removing about 1/4" of the gasket. I put vasoline in the groove and put the gap at the one o'clock position. Once I get my setting right - I'll just swap out for a new one. I'm keeping this 'cut' version just in case I need to do more adjusting . . . .

Any help on how to set the clutch adjustment so I have a wider transition would be greatly appreciated . . . . is it the screw under the clutch derby cover that handles this or is it the cable adjustment? I have a feeling its the screw - but I' not sure. The instructions stated that after setting the screw so that it is snug, back it out from 1/2 to a full turn. I only backed it out 1/2 turn . . . should I back it out an additional 1/4 turn?

I did my clutch adjustment, and its certainly not as loose as it was before. However, it starts to engage much 'later' than I'd like. Instead of starting to feel the engine engage about 1/3 of the way its right at 1/2 way (clutch lever travel that is . . .) So how can I start the release a little close to the handlebar about 1/3 or 1/4 travel? I must say that clutch feels a lot smoother for sure . . but I like to have some bite sooner . . . .
Also - I learned from a parts guy @ the H-D to use 'Dawn' soap to clean the rubber gasket that is used on the derby cover - it seems to help it shrink . . . . freezing didn't work that well . . . I created a temporary gasket only to be used while I'm adjusting my clutch by cuting the gasket and removing about 1/4" of the gasket. I put vasoline in the groove and put the gap at the one o'clock position. Once I get my setting right - I'll just swap out for a new one. I'm keeping this 'cut' version just in case I need to do more adjusting . . . .

Any help on how to set the clutch adjustment so I have a wider transition would be greatly appreciated . . . . is it the screw under the clutch derby cover that handles this or is it the cable adjustment? I have a feeling its the screw - but I' not sure. The instructions stated that after setting the screw so that it is snug, back it out from 1/2 to a full turn. I only backed it out 1/2 turn . . . should I back it out an additional 1/4 turn?

Make your final adjustment @ the cable adjuster (COLD) :s

After loosening the cable just a tad, I believe I found the sweet spot. A longer transition, but still a very positive dis/enaged feel. Very nice. Now on to some more adventures in Motorcyclology . . . installing the TFI and my new A/C . . . and researching some new slipons as well . . .

After loosening the cable just a tad, I believe I found the sweet spot. A longer transition, but still a very positive dis/enaged feel. Very nice. Now on to some more adventures in Motorcyclology . . . installing the TFI and my new A/C . . . and researching some new slipons as well . . .

:s God Job Mark:s

Back