free website stats program Some Questions About Overpants | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Some Questions About Overpants

Ok, thanks every one. I'm getting lots of good info on options for riding in cold weather.

Haven't heard too much about what to wear if you want protection on a warm/hot day, though.

Hey Hobbit - you mention the Draggin' Jeans and I've considered them in the past. Do you wear them as a stand alone item or over regular pants? How are they on a hot day? Are they comfortable for walking around off the bike?

Dr.D; Since my chaps have also shrunk :D, I'm also looking to go to something different. Since you started this thread this morning, I have looked at quite a few interesting options. A tool I like to use when shopping is
"Google Product Search". It only returns retailers & prices of the items you search for. Today I searched for codura mcy. pants, kevlar mcy. pants, ballistic nylon mcy.pants (got my favorites there), snowmobile pants, and ski pants.
Everything from $35 ebay, to $400 outfitters. I'm leaning towards a ballistic nylon with removable liner, should cover 3 seasons in GA. I like suspenders, but find they tug on my shoulders when seated. I bet you can find something too.
Without getting too long winded, did you know that there are several zones that are used for abrasion protection ratings? Elbows/hips are one, butt is another, legs/back another. To pass certification, some materials only have to last for ONE second in a specific zone. Even high quality thick leather is only like 5 seconds. But that's a LOOONG time when it's your body surfing the asphalt.

Last edited:
So I've been giving some thought to switching from chaps to overpants (I know - thus alienating myself from the majority of the Harley community :p)
The overpants option just seems to offer more protection if you encounter the pavement and also wind protection from the waist down and not just on your legs, if you catch my drift.

Doc welcome to my world.. The world of a Harley rider that wears sportbike protective equipment..

I stopped wear chaps and leather (except for a racing style leather suit for track days) a long time ago. The cordura/texile stuff is well put together and provides great protection.

I have a number of riding pants. Everything from Icon jeans (heavy duty with kelvar), to a few different riding pants from Joe Rocket, Alpinestars, and MotoGP. The Joe Rocket pant are Alter Egos. They offer protection in the knees and hips. Along with general road rash protection. The zip all the way up the sides. So they can be used as an overpant, or just wear a pair of shorts under them. They are warm in the in winter. They also come with a rain liner which keeps you dry in the wet and adds another layer of protection against the cold.

For warmer weather riding, they have a removable vent that exposes a vent that runs from the side/top of your thighs, around your backside (high near the waist band) around to the other thigh. They are comfortable to wear and best of all, they provide more protection than ordinary jeans. I wear 'em in the summer here in Florida. This way once I get to where I'm going, I can zip 'em off and I'm comfortable in a pair of short!

It kinda goes back to something I noticed a long time ago. You don't see any motorcycle racers (Harley drag racers or otherwise) wear HD leathers on the track. So why not wear equipment made by folks that produce protective equipment for those who race. Having a get off at 80 mph is basically the same on the track or the steet. Actually, it's a bit safer on the track.

One of my concerns (problems) is down here in south louisiana, you could start off riding in 30-40 degrees -- translated COLD, and a few hours later you are burning up with temps up near 60-70. I would like to wear something lite but warm. any suggestions?

Bill

Layers, shed them as it get's warmer. As it turns cold I keep several items of warm clothing in the saddle bags, add remove as needed.

Layers, shed them as it get's warmer. As it turns cold I keep several items of warm clothing in the saddle bags, add remove as needed.
that's about what I do. I do like wearing sorta lite jackets tho - then remove it as the day goes on. Mostly, I need it with me for when the sun goes down and I hit those pockets of COLD air in the shade - you know what I am talking about. Too much of that and I stop and put the jacket back on.

Bill

So I've been giving some thought to switching from chaps to overpants (I know - thus alienating myself from the majority of the Harley community :p)
The overpants option just seems to offer more protection if you encounter the pavement and also wind protection from the waist down and not just on your legs, if you catch my drift.

This brings up the debate of leather versus textile. The leather would match my jacket and gloves and preserve the Harley "look." However, I'm reading that the more recent textile materials actually offer better protection in a fall than leather. Much more comfortable to wear on a hot day than leather, also.

Looking for opinions from everyone out there, especially those who have owned both or currently own both. What do you do with textile pants on a cold day when you DON'T want air blowing on your legs? Most of them have removeable, waterproof liners - do you put these liners in on the cold days to cut down on the wind penetration? How easy do they go on/off over jeans? Can you really wear the textiles even on a hot day? What's the hottest you can tolerate with the leather overpants? And then the obvious question - which brand and/or model do you like and recommend?

I recently purchased a new Softail Deluxe as my first Harley! I am 63 years old and have always used Langlitz custom made leathers. I went with the goat skin which is more durable than cowhide and also softer. I have had this set for probably 20 years. I went with the leather lined pockets and the heavier lining. They still look as good as new. I had a set of jacket and pants made for my wife in gray with black piping. Looks good. Langlitz also makes great gloves and their sheepskin lined mitt is the best going. If it is going to be really wet or we get caught out in the rain we put on a light set of Gore wear to keep us dry. Luckily in 50 years of riding I've only hit the ground once. I think chaps are definitely not as safe. Full face helmets are also more safe but that is for another post.

I bought a pair of firstgear ht overpants before the winter, they are 100% waterproof, pull out thinsulate lining, I haven't ridden in the rain with them, but I rode between 20-30 degrees, with just jeans on and was warm. I recommend them.

Again, the responses seem to be running about 10 to 1 about which overpants are great in COLD weather. Does anyone know of a brand/model that would be considered "all weather?" If you wear leg protection other than chaps in warm or hot weather, what's everyone wearing?

Back