free website stats program Some Questions About Overpants | Harley Davidson Forums

Some Questions About Overpants

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
So I've been giving some thought to switching from chaps to overpants (I know - thus alienating myself from the majority of the Harley community :p)
The overpants option just seems to offer more protection if you encounter the pavement and also wind protection from the waist down and not just on your legs, if you catch my drift.

This brings up the debate of leather versus textile. The leather would match my jacket and gloves and preserve the Harley "look." However, I'm reading that the more recent textile materials actually offer better protection in a fall than leather. Much more comfortable to wear on a hot day than leather, also.

Looking for opinions from everyone out there, especially those who have owned both or currently own both. What do you do with textile pants on a cold day when you DON'T want air blowing on your legs? Most of them have removeable, waterproof liners - do you put these liners in on the cold days to cut down on the wind penetration? How easy do they go on/off over jeans? Can you really wear the textiles even on a hot day? What's the hottest you can tolerate with the leather overpants? And then the obvious question - which brand and/or model do you like and recommend?

My pants are some kind of cordura nylon. Supposed to be a waterproof material. On a really cold day I will wear some type of microfibre long johns. I like the fabric pants because they have front and rear pockets and offer god protection from wind and rain and road rash.
kemo

My pants are some kind of cordura nylon. Supposed to be a waterproof material. On a really cold day I will wear some type of microfibre long johns. I like the fabric pants because they have front and rear pockets and offer god protection from wind and rain and road rash.
kemo

My idea of cool weather is going to be a lot different than yours! If it's much below 40 degrees F I'm probably not riding - I'm looking for something to reduce the wind chill effect on the legs in the 35 to 55 degree F range.

You say they offer good protection from the wind but are you talking about the times you are also wearing the long johns? In other words, if I just had a pair of jeans and your overpants on, would the wind still come through?

35 degF at 70mph is pretty chilly - windchillwise. I have a pair of insulated bib coveralls that I use when we have an extended cold snap down here. Got much more wear from them when I rode the Dyna all the time. The UC does keep me pretty toasty back behind the fairings. You might check out that option. Here are a few to look at:

Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear At the Sportsman's Guide

TQ

35 degF at 70mph is pretty chilly - windchillwise. I have a pair of insulated bib coveralls that I use when we have an extended cold snap down here. Got much more wear from them when I rode the Dyna all the time. The UC does keep me pretty toasty back behind the fairings. You might check out that option. Here are a few to look at:

Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear At the Sportsman's Guide

TQ

Ski bibs work really good. Check out e-bay also for some. I picked up a pair of Ski Gear bibs for my nephew for $17.00 shipped. Be patient and a deal will show up.

Dr. the wind might blow up the cuff, that is why I like the L/J they stop the draft. Even with the pants and the L/J I don't feel hot, and riding with the pants only is comfortable. I don't like the looks of leather chaps
kemo

I just got a set of leather overpants from Leather Up for $100. I am confident that those along with long johns and jeans will keep me warm when needed. I'm not wearing leather in Fl for looks, only when its Fl. cold:p

I just got a set of leather overpants from Leather Up for $100. I am confident that those along with long johns and jeans will keep me warm when needed. I'm not wearing leather in Fl for looks, only when its Fl. cold:p

If I was going to go with leather, those are also the ones I was looking at. But those would be way too hot on a humid, 90 degree summer day. I'm trying to find something I wouldn't hesitate to wear year round, rain or shine, with the addition of a liner on cold days. I also want to be able to take them off and have regular street jeans underneath. Seems like a quality textile pant is the only one that meets all those conditions.

I have some leather over pants with zippers all the way up the leg like chaps to go on easy with front and rear pockets and lined. I would never go back to chaps, the pants are much warmer. I got them from house of leather, but I don't know if they sell them anymore, might be the same as Fox Creek.

Back