free website stats program Some "person" keyed my bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Some "person" keyed my bike

sanec1

I arrived home from work today and immediately noticed the 4 distinct key scratches. They are all right down to the metal and long 8" on the right side of the tank. The bike is a 99 Road King, vivid black. I will not be parking the bike there anymore. It will be moved up closer to the side door. I installed a motion detector security light one week ago. Can I get some advice on repairing these from someone who has done this before please. :bigsmiley15:

I arrived home from work today and immediately noticed the 4 distinct key scratches. They are all right down to the metal and long 8" on the right side of the tank. The bike is a 99 Road King, vivid black. I will not be parking the bike there anymore. It will be moved up closer to the side door. I installed a motion detector security light one week ago. Can I get some advice on repairing these from someone who has done this before please. :bigsmiley15:

Sorry Brother. The only way to get it perfect is to take the tank and have it stripped and redone by a PFD. But if you are gonna get all the tins repainted in the not too distant future, you might be able to take the bike to a top end painter and have them just do the section of the tank that was keyed. You will always know it is there and will be able to see the imperfections, but very few other will.

TQ

Thanks for responding TQ and JBC. I've done a bit of research and read about Harley touch-up kits. There is also some damage on the front fender from an unfortunate collision with a dog last October. I am renovating the basement of a house I bought last June. Just looking for a decent repair until I can have it finished professionally.

Have you contacted your insurance company???? If covered you may have even more options available to you...
Sorry to hear of your bike being damaged.

Really sorry to hear that about your tank. I've never really seen anyone do a decent repair job by touching it up. You may have to get the whole tank painted. Bummer! :(

Hate to hear about these vandal stories - sorry your hard earned scoot was marred. Because it would be temporary - you could sand down the tank & fender & cover w/primary sealer (black). Would kind of give you a "military" look until you gan get tins in for major paint...just a thought.

Like mentioned above, touch up usually shows. If you want it to look right then have it repainted.

Back