free website stats program Some LEDs Dead in Harley Mirror with Running Lights | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Some LEDs Dead in Harley Mirror with Running Lights

You arel likely looking at high intensity LEDs, probably surface mounted. The Shack won't likely have them, but, Digikey likely will, if you can determine what they are.

Here is what we know:
  • Not all are out, so they are not in series
  • Since they are parallel-wired, unless they are supplied by a constant current source or individual limiting resistors, they are current-limited by a single resistance. Once you lose one LED, current and voltage to the rest goes up. They will all wink out one by one from overstress
  • If, being in parallel, each one has a single limiting resistor (or built-in), loss of one will not overstress the others in the array.

It is possible that these are not designed to come apart for service. Be prepared to have to break something to get in. Hence, you will have to find a trustworthy means to get them to stay closed up, when/if successfully repaired.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I just installed my LED, running/turn, Harley D. type the ones on SOA, Left side works, but right side doesn't blink.
running works, doesn't blink. If pressed back works, but doesn't blink. What can I do to fix this. JP​

I just installed my LED, running/turn, Harley D. type the ones on SOA, Left side works, but right side doesn't blink.
running works, doesn't blink. If pressed back works, but doesn't blink. What can I do to fix this. JP​

LED's are polarity sensitive.
Might be reversed.
Try reversing the leads.​

I've got 3 individual LEDs out on the tail/brake light on my Kawasaki ZX-6 after only about 4000 miles. New light ordered under warranty... I doubt it was over heating as the brakes themselves see very infrequent usage :)
I'm guessing vibration/bad solder joints...
The old adage with solid state items seems to hold true... If it doesn't fail in the first couple months, it's likely to last longer than you'll ever use it.

In order to diagnose, we need more information. How about wiring diagrams? It will be necesary to know how they were miswired initially also.

Good luck,
Rich P​

i had the black LED mirrors on my 09 street bob and had them replaced twice under warranty as the LED's kept failing, it seemed that the soldering/joints couldnt handle the vibrations for a long periods, the 3rd set seemed to last ok and it was usually the bottom rail that failed

just had the led rear right indicator sorted on my 2013 street bob ?
stop light /running light was ok

Hi, Guys. I'm the one that posted the original inquiry. So here's a little background:

Two Harley dealers told me that the issue is not "fixable," and I'd need to just buy replacement ($300) turn signal/mirrors. That's really crappy, especially given that they weren't cheap.

Some of you are quite sophisticated in electronics, but I'm not, so most of the discussion here is quite over my head.

Harley has told me that the devices are not "openable," so, unless I find some kind of genius LED guy, I'm stuck with the inferior display of some-but-not-all lights on, or buying replacements.

(The Muth mirror systems are not really related to this issue.)

I think making these things, charging $300 (not including installation, of course), and then making them non-repairable is unforgivable.

Thank you all for trying, though. You're good guys.

. . . SMS

Back