free website stats program Some electrical not working | Harley Davidson Forums

Some electrical not working

I replaced my switch housings, switch covers and grips today. I went to test everything and the following doesn't work:

Turn signals
Horn
Instrument bezel power (tach and speedometer don't light up, no odometer, no engine light)

All other functions work (headlights- hi/low, all radio switches. gauges mounted on inner fairing)

Anyone had this issue or can point me in the right direction. Thank you

I would check your fuse's and trouble codes first, it's more then likely under the switch housings you just installed, trouble codes might tell you which side, something got pinched?

99.9% of the time, when everything works til you mess with it.Its a problem with what you did.Quik question..Did you disconnect the battery before messing with it?If not its possible you tripped a breaker/fuse.

Also possible something is not properly connected or you pinched a wire.Check all fuses/breakers..if alls good take it back apart and plug in the origional components.If all works you have narrowed down your problem.

When I turn on the ignition switch, I get either 5 or 6 quick flashes of the hazard lights. Does that signal the problem??

Does the bike have a factory alarm/security?You said.."The fuses look fine".

Cant tell you how many fuses Ive wasted time chasing problemswhen in fact a fuse was bad.

Did you use a test light to check both sides?

If the turn signals flash six four-way flashes shortly after key ON, it indicates a DTC has been logged sometime in the last three ignition cycles. The self help section has a lot of info on pulling codes and what they mean. I'm pretty sure a wire is shorting out under one of the housings you installed, also do you know about shimming the brake lever before installing? here's a chart on finding troble codes on your speedo, hold the reset in to start & go from there.
check.jpg

You need to test the fuses. Just because they look good does not mean they are. A pinched wire is a wire with insulation that is thinner or non existing because of pressure on the insulation. It may not be servered.

Back