Some electrical not working

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by hdroadsofa, Jan 23, 2010.

1. hdroadsofa

hdroadsofa Member

I replaced my switch housings, switch covers and grips today. I went to test everything and the following doesn't work:

Turn signals
    Horn
    Instrument bezel power (tach and speedometer don't light up, no odometer, no engine light)

All other functions work (headlights- hi/low, all radio switches. gauges mounted on inner fairing)

Anyone had this issue or can point me in the right direction. Thank you

2. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

I would check your fuse's and trouble codes first, it's more then likely under the switch housings you just installed, trouble codes might tell you which side, something got pinched?

3. hdroadsofa

hdroadsofa Member

How do you check the trouble codes? The fuses looked fine.

4. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

99.9% of the time, when everything works til you mess with it.Its a problem with what you did.Quik question..Did you disconnect the battery before messing with it?If not its possible you tripped a breaker/fuse.

Also possible something is not properly connected or you pinched a wire.Check all fuses/breakers..if alls good take it back apart and plug in the origional components.If all works you have narrowed down your problem.

5. hdroadsofa

hdroadsofa Member

When I turn on the ignition switch, I get either 5 or 6 quick flashes of the hazard lights. Does that signal the problem??

6. hdroadsofa

hdroadsofa Member

When you say pinched, do yo mean severed??

7. Mattman4403

Mattman4403 Junior Member

The trouble codes are listed in the self help along with how to get them.

8. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

Does the bike have a factory alarm/security?You said.."The fuses look fine".

Cant tell you how many fuses Ive wasted time chasing problemswhen in fact a fuse was bad.

Did you use a test light to check both sides?

9. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

If the turn signals flash six four-way flashes shortly after key ON, it indicates a DTC has been logged sometime in the last three ignition cycles. The self help section has a lot of info on pulling codes and what they mean. I'm pretty sure a wire is shorting out under one of the housings you installed, also do you know about shimming the brake lever before installing? here's a chart on finding troble codes on your speedo, hold the reset in to start & go from there.
    [​IMG]

10. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

You need to test the fuses. Just because they look good does not mean they are. A pinched wire is a wire with insulation that is thinner or non existing because of pressure on the insulation. It may not be servered.