free website stats program Some days are Diamond & Some days are Stone | Harley Davidson Forums

Some days are Diamond & Some days are Stone

PT JONES

My bike is a 2003 1200C,has about 33K on it now, bought it new, the only thing I've changed is the pipes (Gooseneck Drags), and for the last couple of years or so, she has taken spells of running badly!! Usually, it starts up fine and runs out great, but then when I get to a stop sign or traffic light stop, she begins to spit and sputter and once I get the rpms up, she runs fine until I slow down again!! What could be going on? Thanks and l look forward to reading your comments.

What is your RPM's at idle? I'm not a sportster guy so is the 1200C carbureted? if so maybe the low idle needs to be adjusted or jets cleaned.

Try running a couple OZ of Seafoam in your gas tank at your next fill up, it's a good cleaner for both carbed and injected systems.

2003 sportster will have a carb and at that age it may be time to rebuild the carb as a lot of the rubber seals will start to perish after about 10 years
Could also be that the slow jet is partially blocked again a carb rebuild will sort that out take the time to ensure the float height is correct or insufficient fuel may be drawn in lo vacuum conditions
Service manual and a carb rebuild kit are what you need

Brian

Thank you both for replying!! I am considering a carb rebuild and replacing all my hoses etc. because they are getting brittle and rub off on my fingers when I touch them. Also, would you recommend a re-jetting too?? Thanks again, PT

Thought about going bigger since I have drag pipes??? But what ever would make her run good....not wanting to go any faster!!

It may be worth going up a size or 2 on both jets as they are jetted on the lean side from the factory and replacing the exhaust system may make it a wee bit too lean

Brian

Back