free website stats program Solo Seat Post and Frame Cover | Harley Davidson Forums

Solo Seat Post and Frame Cover

Jonas

I wanted to share a few lessons I learned, while installing a pogo seat on my 1981 FLH.

#1 According to what I have read. 1980 should be the last year the frame is set up to take a pogo seat post. I got lucky, my 81 had the bushings and hole in the bottom of the frame for the seat post to be bolted on.

#2 The springs in the aftermarket seatpost from V-Twin will not support a 6'4" 250 person. You might a well be sitting on the frame. I could easliy push the set down with my hand. Adjusted to max tension

I got lucky on this a stumbled onto the "Springman". He sells a set of color coded springs that will accomodate 175 to 275 pound riders.(depending on the combination you use) The Springman is not into the internet. He frequents anitque motorcyle swap meets. You have to contact him by phone and pay by money order through the mail. Very nice guy and has alot of good information. His name is David Croft 44o 458 88i3. I have the spring set on order. I will update after I install them.

#3 There are few different Chrome Frame Covers. (Covers the frame under the solo seat). I order received and install the wrong one first. It has slots cut in it to accomodate a Comfort Flex Seat, it works but has extra slots. So with just a solo seat, I need the one without the slots. I believe it is advertised 65-76. The one with the slots is advertised for 77-80.

Hopefully the info helps someone.

Hey, thanx for the post. How about posting some pix of your FLH? I like old Harley's and would enjoy looking at them. Welcome to the forum by the way.

I received the spring set from David Croft today. I mailed the money order on Monday, so I was pleasantly surprised to get them today(Saturday).

It was like when your a kid and you get a basketball for Christmas with snow on the ground. You go outside and bounce the ball in the snow.

I installed the kit. It replaced all six springs in the pogo. It's cold, but I had to check it out. Took it for a ride, no bottom out, the ride is great. Only took about 20 minutes to swap the springs over. 30 minutes to thaw out

I agree with Mavagrand...think it would be awesome to see your scoot Jonas...! Maybe both of yours, based on portrait '04 Road King, but freshly upgraded '81 FLH...

Here are a couple

Here is my Road King

You ask for pictures, I'm breaking out the whole album:D

Attachments

• Dragon.bmp
    198 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0571.jpg
    DSCF0571.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0559.jpg
    DSCF0559.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 35
  • SHOVELHEAD finished 002.jpg
    SHOVELHEAD finished 002.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 54
  • HarleyDonalds 023.jpg
    HarleyDonalds 023.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Annahhovelhead.jpg
    Annahhovelhead.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 36
  • AnnahRoadking.jpg
    AnnahRoadking.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 32
  • smallframecover.jpg
    smallframecover.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 34
Here are a couple

A TRIPLE PLAY!

Now that is one fine looking scoot! When I saw the first two pix, I could tell that you did a lot of work and it turned out great! :newsmile093:

Your daily driver is no slouch either! :s

Looks like your grooming a future HD rider too! :bigsmiley11:

Last edited:
I wanted to share a few lessons I learned, while installing a pogo seat on my 1981 FLH.

I got lucky on this a stumbled onto the "Springman". He sells a set of color coded springs that will accomodate 175 to 275 pound riders.(depending on the combination you use) The Springman is not into the internet. His name is David Croft 44o 458 88i3.

#3 There are few different Chrome Frame Covers. (Covers the frame under the solo seat). I order received and install the wrong one first. It has slots cut in it to accomodate a Comfort Flex Seat, it works but has extra slots. So with just a solo seat, I need the one without the slots. I believe it is advertised 65-76. The one with the slots is advertised for 77-80.
I am also doing the solo seat conversion on my 1977 FLH. I too stumbled upon Dave Croft. I too recommend him highly!

I am wanting the same frame cover for underneath the seat. They are available nowhere that I have found. The part number at VTwin is 42-0323, the J&P number is 702-021. Does anyone know where I can get one of these?
thanks.. gary

I am also doing the solo seat conversion on my 1977 FLH. I too stumbled upon Dave Croft. I too recommend him highly!

I am wanting the same frame cover for underneath the seat. They are available nowhere that I have found. The part number at VTwin is 42-0323, the J&P number is 702-021. Does anyone know where I can get one of these?
thanks.. gary
Have you checked E bay yet?

maybe just forget the rat trap assembly and toss the seat down on some cut up pieces of old tires. but not to worry, they make a small little deely that you mount the front of your seat to, it dont go into the frame tube, the unit sits up on top. should work good.

Back