free website stats program solenoid start button/still no start? | Harley Davidson Forums

solenoid start button/still no start?

Vagabond

question for ya'll, 95 evo softail, all stock electricaly, will at times act up and not wanna start with the normal handlebar switch. no clicking, just nothing, installed the custom cycle eng. switch on the solenoid for the very reason to have as a back up and had to use it not long ago, with the ignition switch on/run and everything else ready to go, i reach down to start the bike with the solenoid switch manually, all it does is crank over and over but will not ignite/start. so the manual start switch works but will not start the bike. im terribly electricaly anemic, any help from you guys would greatly be apreciatted. thanks. merry christmas to all btw.

So it appears that you are energizing starter but still have no ignition. With ignition switch in run position it appears switch is not operating correctly.

i agree dbmg, but which switch?? i thought that with ignition in start/run, if the handlebar switch fails, the manual solenoid push button starter will start the engine? it doesnt, just turns engine over and over wanting to start without it firing. what could be the glitch?

As you seem to have more than one electrical issue here with the start button on the handle bar and the run/stop switch perhaps not performing as it should first thing I would do is remove right side tank and there just under the frame spine you should find the electrical connectors that feed the handlebar switches these connectors can corrode internally use a good quality switch cleaner and allow it to clean the corrosion then test if all is good use some electrical grease to assist in protection
As your bike is nearly 20 years old there will be times it will show its age

Brian

Have you checked for power at the coil? Also check the wires coming out of the cone to the coil for power

power to coil and coil itself are fine, have checked them with meter, electrcial under console looks good but that doent mean there isnt any corrosion or poor connections, correct. just for no reason, the bike will not want to turn over, not even click the solenoid, no result from the handlebar start switch, nothing, new relay, another new relay, once it start everything is fine again.

i just dont understand why the manual solenoid pushbutton wont start the bike?? i thought the whole purpose of it was for a backup with notorious evo starting/relay issues, to my surprise, even this doesnt get you going either. false security all of these years i guess. thanks again

Again if you have no ignition you will crank till the battery is dead. And never start.

Well if the engine is turning over but no fire to start it you only have 2 things to test. 1) Cam sensor Plate, 2) ECM output to coil.
If you have a Service Manual it will tell you how to test them. Oh 3rd. thing is the Bank Angle Sensor. Earlier models it was a separate unit but it may be part of the Cam Sensor plate on your model. I'm not sure if the test are in archives or not,you could search there.
tourbox

All these members are well versed in the electrical systems and I'm sure their advice is spot on. I think I would first question if the stop/run switch is functioning properly. It seems to me if you but the switch to the run position and it is not turning the ignition on the coil will not fire the plugs.

thanks to everyone for suggestions, i definately have a service manual and will be going through the bike this winter.

what confuses me is this, i never use the kill switch on the handlebars to stop the engine, always the ignition switch on the console. when i turn the igniton switch to start/run and go to hit the start button on the bars, nothing, no click, dead button. so reach down and use the manual solenoid button to turn the engine over, its turns over no problem, just wont fire. so something is not allowing it to fire from either?? the relay is the main switch but i understand that its part of the start switch circuit from the handlebar pushbutton only, that switch cant take the amps without the relay, but if the igniton is on and in run mode, why wouldnt using the manual start(solenoid), start the bike? just turns over and over. as per manual, ive checked the coil, and have used meter on the plug from the cam plate wire harness to the ignition module and it appears to be in order. even if i elect to not use the handlebar switch and primarily use the manual start button on the solenoid, why wont the engine start. thanks, sorry for the long post.

Back