free website stats program Solenoid plunger disassembly? | Harley Davidson Forums

Solenoid plunger disassembly?

Bodeen

Staff member
Contributor
I took my solenoid plunger out and was going to turn the copper washer over and try to get some more life out of it. I cant get it apart to flip the washer. The manual doesn't say it comes apart, It shows it as one piece. Cant sell parts if they show how to fix it, I guess. I am smart enough to know that this thing isn't one piece. I did not want to beak out the Vise Grips and Channel Locks yet. I need to get to work tomorrow. Any tricks to getting it apart without destroying it?

Attachments

• Solenoid.jpg
    Solenoid.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Solenoid1.jpg
    Solenoid1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Solenoid2.jpg
    Solenoid2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 19
They are pressed together using a low impact press.You should be able to pull them apart twisting with a couple of pair of vise grips.When you get the washer turned set it upright on a metal bench and hammer the keeper back in.

They are pressed together using a low impact press.You should be able to pull them apart twisting with a couple of pair of vise grips.When you get the washer turned set it upright on a metal bench and hammer the keeper back in.

Thanks Steve. I got a feeling I better have a replacement on hand before I start the process. Seems like the Vice grips will scar up the plunger and the press fit may come apart.

Jeff if you put cardboard on the plunger as a buffer the plunger should not score.A simple solution is just to use a bit of emory cloth on the face of the brass washer and not bother turning it around.

Jeff if you put cardboard on the plunger as a buffer the plunger should not score.A simple solution is just to use a bit of emory cloth on the face of the brass washer and not bother turning it around.

I'll give it a shot. I did end up hitting the contact surfaces with emory cloth and slapping it back together. The disc side and the top contact on the inside have get some real craters in them. I will probably be rebuilding it soon anyway. Thanks for the tips.

That piece is only available as part of an assembly on my bike. ($150 MSRP) ..
I just love it.

It needed some attention. Lots of pitting and cratering from arcing. Battery going bad caused some less than splendid starts that really beat on the contact surfaces. Starter dragging when started from a certain spot on the solenoid.

That piece is only available as part of an assembly on my bike. ($150 MSRP) ..
I just love it.

Hoop, I saw the whole rebuild kit in J&P including the plunger for $35. Some cheaper.

I saw the whole rebuild kit in J&P including the plunger for $35. Some cheaper.

Wow your right. They have some nice looking complete kits for low $$. I don't see one listed for my 2009 FXDL but they have your bike covered.

Now I know what I am going to say when the salesman says "time to trade. It's hard to get parts for the older bikes." :)

Back