free website stats program SOLD MY SPORTY - what's my new bike? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

SOLD MY SPORTY - what's my new bike?

Can't believe it took until post #14 for HDDON to hit the nail on the head. First and foremost, before you worry about the looks or weight or anything else, you need to do an honest evaluation of the type of riding you do primarily, both currently and planned for the future.

Is it all day trips? Local bar hopping? Back roads or super slabs? Solo or two up? Long overnight trips touring the country?

My opinion only - each family of Harley bikes was designed and built to excel in one type of riding, but can cross over to other types if you want. Touring bikes can easily handle the long hauls but are also a joy to ride for just an hour or two. Though not intended to be canyon carvers, they are quite adequate when the roads get twisty.

Dynas and Softails can be equipped to go for days on end but that's not what they were designed to do and you'd probably be happier riding them locally or on short overnight trips, especially with a passenger.

So.....analyze your riding style and get an appropriate bike and you can't go wrong.

Been riding since 73 but had my first Harley in 89. It was a Sportster. Then I went to Dynas, then, touring and to softails. But i alway go back to touring models and yes I wasted a lot of $$.

If you want comfort, haul stuff as well as carry a passenger touring is the way to go.

Look and ride everything you get the opportunity to, and you will know what is for you. I've had my Dyna for 19 years and it still puts as big of a smile on my face as my Electra Glide does (Or does the E.G. put as big of a smile on me as the Dyna?). I have had the Dyna on 2 week trips with no comfort issues. They each outperform each other in different areas. I liken it to kids, I prefer one over another on different days, but love them both.

I moved up from a '73 sporty to an '03 RKC. It has a bit more inertia than the sporty, but I got used to it soon enough. What was hard for me was getting used to the brake and shifter being on opposite sides to what I was used to.

Out of the baggers, my own research showed that it is the most versatile of the group. I bought a selection of quick-disconnect pieces: Woody's batwing fairing, RKC tourpack, variety of seats, lowers, etc. Now, I can strip her to her basics and enjoy her spriteliness, or I can configure her like an Electraglide, or StreetGlide, or whatever I'm in a mood for that day. It takes about 15 minutes for the reconfiguration. My friends never know what I'm gonna ride up on, but it is all built upon the same solid RK foundation.

You gotta choose for yourself, but its RKC for me, all the way.

Enjoy,
Rich P

My experience, i went from a sportster to a fatboy and i love it. Why did i get the fatboy, because i wanted it. Get what you want youll be happy. GOOD LUCK.

This is SWEET. I found myself agreeing with every comment in some way. Looks like the RK takes the day, but it would be helpful to have a fat boy or dyna around just in case :)
I looked at the '01 Dyna, and it's a nice ride, but I think I'm gonna take my time... best advise was to think about the type of riding i do and go from there. Thanks for the replies!!

Sorry friends - my reply goes a little differently. I had a Sporty 883 then a 1200. Thought it was the appropriate thing to 'move up' and bought the Ultra Classic. Sadly, being a smallish guy, it was just too heavy to ride in the city with. Great for touring, but who has got the time to tour all of the time? I have since reverted to a new Sporty 1200 again and am back riding much more. Just make sure you change for the right reasons. All Harleys are great, just not all of them are meant for everybody - just a viewpoint.

I agree with HDDon. As for me, I have the dresser for long hauls, the Dyna Wideglide for medium long hauls and round town and the V-Rod when I feel the need for speed :)... What type of bike to get is subjective and everyone is going to have their own preferences and riding skills. To the OP, if you can, test ride the bike your thinking about getting before you make your decision either at the dealership or if you know someone who has the bike your looking at. Goodluck on your choice.

Thanks Tbones - I do wish I had a garage and a budget to fit all three of your selections. But, alas, I don't. BUT I do know that the reason I sold my Sporty, much as I liked it, is that I really don't ride that much around town. Once and awhile, but more often the riding is a a couple hour jaunt, day trip, or over-nighter. Hence why the Sporty grew a bit tiresome. So i seem to fit in the "medium hauls" category.
Great feedback. Thanks.

Thanks Tbones - I do wish I had a garage and a budget to fit all three of your selections. But, alas, I don't. BUT I do know that the reason I sold my Sporty, much as I liked it, is that I really don't ride that much around town. Once and awhile, but more often the riding is a a couple hour jaunt, day trip, or over-nighter. Hence why the Sporty grew a bit tiresome. So i seem to fit in the "medium hauls" category.
Great feedback. Thanks.

Test ride a Dyna you will like The power of the Big Twin, you can go solo or 2 up easy. I went from Baggers to Dynas, Kind of wish I still had my Bagger but the Dyna is a lot of fun Good Luck

Back