free website stats program SOLD MY SPORTY - what's my new bike? | Harley Davidson Forums

SOLD MY SPORTY - what's my new bike?

4Barrel

Well, I did it. Sold my '07 Sporty XL883 (pic attached). Just deposited the check, and am feeling a little low. Loved that bike, but I know it's time to move on. It went to a nice new home, and they liked the mods I did to it, which I accomplished with the help of all the folks here. So thanks. Long live my Sporty!

So, I'm looking for a little help searching for my ride. I'm checking out an '01 FXDXT (Dyna Tour Sport), and was wondering if anyone has ridden one, owned one, etc. impressions coming from the perspective of being a former sportster owner would be helpful. i'm a little concerned about going to a carbureated bike, having never had one.

I also like the looks of mid 2000's road kings and softail springers, but am thinking of Dyna family might be a better next step - open to comments here too.

Attachments

• IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0902.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 47
Well, I did it. Sold my '07 Sporty XL883 (pic attached). Just deposited the check, and am feeling a little low. Loved that bike, but I know it's time to move on. It went to a nice new home, and they liked the mods I did to it, which I accomplished with the help of all the folks here. So thanks. Long live my Sporty!

So, I'm looking for a little help searching for my ride. I'm checking out an '01 FXDXT (Dyna Tour Sport), and was wondering if anyone has ridden one, owned one, etc. impressions coming from the perspective of being a former sportster owner would be helpful. i'm a little concerned about going to a carbureated bike, having never had one.

I also like the looks of mid 2000's road kings and softail springers, but am thinking of Dyna family might be a better next step - open to comments here too.

4Barrel ever open a can of worms, :Dthis is going to be an interesting thread to follow. i vote for the RoadKing

By all means the Road king:D

They actually handle better than the dynas do and are more comfortable.

Had them both and speak from experience.

Both_Harleys.jpg

Having owned Baggers and dynas, if given the choice again it would be a Bagger:D

Well I think.......getting of a small 883 and gettin on a RK might seem a little much at first, but believe me you'd be moving up in the future anyway and will have wasted money on the Dyna to boot.

Go for the Bagger, JMO.:D

wasted money on the Dyna HUH, I dont follow this one?

My opinion and coming from experience in worrying about "moving up" in size.......just get the bike you want and don't worry about the size being too much! I took the MSF course to get my license and listened to all the "hype" form the instructors about not going too big and considered a "starter bike" in the 650 cc under 500 pound range. Then talked with my riding friends who said just get the bike you want.....went with a 2010 dyna and am glad I did not listen to the msf folks. I rode my new bike home from the dealership and the only experience I had was in the course and have had no problems.

If you have some time on a bike at all.....like you do with the sporty.....then just get the biggest bike you want. Just take it easy the first couple of times out that's all! Good luck with your decision!

===============================================

wasted money on the Dyna HUH, I dont follow this one?

X2 on that comment Jack!!!!!!!! Really?!?!?!?!? Love my FXDC!

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion and coming from experience in worrying about "moving up" in size.......just get the bike you want and don't worry about the size being too much! I took the MSF course to get my license and listened to all the "hype" form the instructors about not going too big and considered a "starter bike" in the 650 cc under 500 pound range. Then talked with my riding friends who said just get the bike you want.....went with a 2010 dyna and am glad I did not listen to the msf folks. I rode my new bike home from the dealership and the only experience I had was in the course and have had no problems.

If you have some time on a bike at all.....like you do with the sporty.....then just get the biggest bike you want. Just take it easy the first couple of times out that's all! Good luck with your decision!

Good advice Whacko,I would go one step further and go to the dealer and test ride them all it will give you a better grip on the decision JMO

One of my preferences, if I was shopping, is a 03 Night train...love the looks & similar to your former sporty w/some added kick...JMO. Congrats on your sale & good luck w/the future purchase!

when i got the RK thought it was too heavy (NOT) heavier than the softail but that is to be expected. took it around the neighborhood a few times to get use to the feel and handling then hit the road. never looked back

Back