Solar Trickle charger

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by 2008FLHTCUI, Nov 3, 2010.

1. 2008FLHTCUI

2008FLHTCUI New Member

Greetings and thank you to the forum contributors. I've learned alot and it's an enjoyable forum. Here's my q:
    Ran across the following:
    dubya.dubya.dubya.goldengadgets.com/solar-power/12v-solar-panel-battery-charger.html"]12V Solar Panel Battery Charger

Thoughts? Concerns? Using solar in freezing environments? Tell me what you think and TIA.

2. Cyclops

Cyclops Active Member

I prefer a 'tender' over a charger. Also, I'm not patient enough to wait nearly 24 hours to to charge a battery. Per the site, "The 12V Solar Panel Battery Charger will require approximately 21-23 hrs in the sun to completely replenish 6 hours of battery use at 7 watts per hour."

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

HMMM, going green?

4. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

If it's Sunny out, you should really be riding. What we really need is a battery charger that charges your battery when it rains. A Hydro-electric battery charger!

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Specially here in Florida where it rains almost daily:p

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Actually sounds like a good idea, but since it does not have auto shutoff, I would go with the battery tender with it's intelligent design and having used one for so many years.

7. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Looks like original price was $139.00 on sale for $69.00. I would doubt the benefits do not out weigh the cost. Especially when most bikes are parked in dark garages. Plus it is a charger. Like others have said you need a tender or maintainer to properly care for battery.

8. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

Ha-ha-ha....so who is going to build the dam.

9. Dr.Evil

Dr.Evil Junior Member

I actually have one, it fits over the end of the down spout. NOT