free website stats program SOFTTAIL HORN QUIT WORKING | Harley Davidson Forums

SOFTTAIL HORN QUIT WORKING

LEE WHITE

When i hit the horn button on my fatboy it only clicks. i changed out the horn and it is still only making a clicking sound?

Rule out the horn by hot wiring it from a battery charger and grounding it
Late model horns no longer have an adjustment screw, the older models that did have 1 were plastic and did not turn very good. Older horns were delco -remey, we used Cadillac horns to replace them, sounded great

As said above, verify the horn works with jumper wires to the battery terminals. If the horn works, I would suspect the horn button on the grip. Unplug the horn and then measure the voltage across the leads coming to the horn. Have someone push the horn button and see if you get a "blip" of voltage on the meter and then nothing. If so, take the grip apart, disassemble the horn button, clean out any corrosion by-product, lube and reassemble. Should fix it.

Cheers,

TQ

Mine did the same thing a couple years ago. I wiggled the wires and horn started to work again and no problems ever since. Must have been a loose or shorted wire. If you've changed horns and still have the same issue i'd follow what TQ suggested.

Thanks a lot ! i got several good responses. i had taken off the horn and replaced it with another i had but when i hit the horn button the horn would only make a thump.I jumped wires to the horn from a battery and it tested good so i took off the switch cover and cleaned the switch connections and the horn started working.Should have checked the horn before replacing it but it was an easy try.A bad ground connection i guess.Again, thanx for the responses!

Rule out the horn by hot wiring it from a battery charger and grounding it
Late model horns no longer have an adjustment screw, the older models that did have 1 were plastic and did not turn very good. Older horns were delco -remey, we used Cadillac horns to replace them, sounded great

Goes to show you how long it's been since I replace a horn. I have air horns on both my HDs

Back