free website stats program softtail clutch | Harley Davidson Forums

softtail clutch

HOLY DIVER

ok got my first softtail a few weeks ago and it seems kinda hard to get it in the lower gears 1st gear clunks more than i was used to on my road king,i read in self help section about this and it said most of the time adjusting the clutch pack will help this.i did that today but it still clunks pretty hard going into 1st now if the bike is still rolling just a bit it falls right in to 1st no clunk,time for a new clutch?or is the softtail transmission just not as smooth as the touring bikes?
note:i can not feel the clutch slip at all in any of the gears

You did adjust the clutch cold? What is in your tranny for lube and is the primary chain adjusted ?

When the bike is standing still and the revs are low it takes a wee while for the clutch to throw the oil clear and fully disengage so try holding clutch leaver in for 5-10 sec before selecting first

Brian

What oil are you running in you're primary? I've been running 10/40 in mine and there's alot less clunk than when I was running 20/50 and still works well when hot.

I have a 2004 Softail and run Amsoil 20-50 in all three holes. Once my bike gets warn, I hold the clutch in for 5-10 seconds before shifting into first. NO CLUNK. Up shift from 1st still no clunk. Very smooth and quiet. Adjusted clutch cold a while back and have no problems since.Just my .02

Last edited:
Mine goes into first with a pretty good clunk. If I'm just starting the bike, I start with the clutch pulled in and put it in first as soon as the engine starts and it goes in quietly.

Take care,
Dave

the primary chain was out of adjustment,put it back in spec this seemed to help a good bit also changed the primary fluid gonna ride it!

the primary chain was out of adjustment,put it back in spec this seemed to help a good bit also changed the primary fluid gonna ride it!

:D Good deal, that will take care of slow speed jerking as well:s

still just a little clunk but if i take fin676's advise and hold the clutch in a sec before i put it in gear, no clunk at all

Back