free website stats program Softail Vs Touring... which gives the smoothest ride? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail Vs Touring... which gives the smoothest ride?

I beg to disagree.

I had an 03 RG for a couple of years, and never felt "right", or "at one" with it. It was smooth, but top heavy, and it seemed that I was always fighting it for control. The wife and I did some relatively long (two day) rides on it, and it was comfortable out on the road, but a real dog around town.

Four months ago, I sold it and bought an 06 Heritage. After a two thousand mile ride last month, I can honestly say I LOVE THIS BIKE! There's a bit more vibration, but comfortable as all get out for an all day ride, even with the wife on it. And around town it's nimble and responsive, and I don't feel like I'm going to drop it every time I come to a stop sign. My only complaint is that the saddle bags are smaller than the ones on the RG. But a bag on the rack takes care of that.

So for what it's worth, I will die in the saddle of my Heritage. Oh, yeah....it looks a lot better than a RG, too. :D

I agree on the softail, my FXSTC, with the exception of the forks and front wheel is the same basic configuration.
After a turn and a quarter on the shock adjustments it rarely bottoms out even 2up.
It's very stable cornering and on windy rides.
We enjoy it very much.

I wish you all a Happy New Year

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Attachments

• 2up (Medium).jpg
    2up (Medium).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 14
It is merely a matter of how the bike is used and how big a load you carry...having a touring bike lightly loaded and for everyday riding is a handful and though it "rides smoother...", does not mean in city and traffic that tool is taken to full advantage. Smooth and steady suspension setup is not the ONLY thing to look at when finding the perfect bike for you. MOCO would not have 25-30 different models if there was even something "close" to one size fits all. JMHO...Freedom of choice here in the States is a very good thing.:a

Road Kings come from the factory with air adjustable shocks front and rear. This lets you adjust the ride for your cargo and rider. You can buy air adjustable shocks for your softail in the aftermarket.

Road Kings also have a longer wheel base, which makes for a smoother ride.

Ryno

Just for future ref: All touring bikes have 63.5" wheelbase. Even though Softails vary mostly due to rake they are all longer WB than Touring Class. FLSTC is 64.5"

Road Kings come from the factory with air adjustable shocks front and rear. This lets you adjust the ride for your cargo and rider. You can buy air adjustable shocks for your softail in the aftermarket.

Road Kings also have a longer wheel base, which makes for a smoother ride.

Ryno

All Showa front forks can be drilled and tapped to be air adjustable:s

I rode a Heritage for thousands of miles, mostly 2up and loved it. Then I bought a 10 Limited and there is no comparison. The Limited is one fine cruising bike. We can ride it all day and don't feel like we want to get off after hundreds of miles. The cruise if great for highway riding. Just my opinion but that is what you asked for.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies.
coffeespit.gif

MONITOR CLEANUP ON AISLE 3!

Enjoy,
Rich P

The soft tail shocks are setup in a wey that does not have much travel even if you upgraded to the best shocks out there and spend tons of money the stock touring setup will ride better hands down, the problem is limited travel on the soft tail design. really the only wey you can achieve a better riding soft tail is to lenthen the swingarm or somehow reconfigure the shocks to be installed 0n a angle to give more room for travel. but overall ST ride ok but a dyna model rides better and a touring bike even better.

Back