free website stats program Softail Vs Touring... which gives the smoothest ride? | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail Vs Touring... which gives the smoothest ride?

Just wondering how much suspension travel differences there are between the two and how the different types of suspension fair against each other.

I am thinking of trading my Softail for a RK if the ride is going to be significantly smoother/softer.

you can set up each to ride great .. but a touring bike will always ride better with less cash output to make it ride perfect .. hence touring bike i have both and i can ride 2 up on the fatboy just more room on touring

I'm gonna vote for touring (bias), but like Bud states - both can be setup for comfort. Touring, of course, will have tad better equipment from stock & you'll probably end up sinking a few $$$ into Softail to make it equal.

Like the saying goes, someday you will own a BAGGER..........

Road Kings come from the factory with air adjustable shocks front and rear. This lets you adjust the ride for your cargo and rider. You can buy air adjustable shocks for your softail in the aftermarket.

Road Kings also have a longer wheel base, which makes for a smoother ride.

Ryno

As they say, everything's relative. My Heritage Classic rode so much better than my old 73 Sportster, I could hardly believe it. Then I bought my Road Glide and the difference, although not as great as Sportster to Softail was really a big improvement, especially riding two up and I can load the bike up for a week long trip and hardly notice any difference in handling.

I would say if you're going to use the bike for solo riding around and short trips a Softail would be fine, but for long distance touring or two up, there is no choice. Got to have a touring bike, that's what they are for. If you want to keep some classic "cool" factor get the Road King, if you want hard core touring I chose the Road Glide, but many prefer the look of the FLH Classic/Ultra and that is also a good option.

Road Kings come from the factory with air adjustable shocks front and rear. This lets you adjust the ride for your cargo and rider. You can buy air adjustable shocks for your softail in the aftermarket.

Road Kings also have a longer wheel base, which makes for a smoother ride.

Ryno

Air Shocks in the rear not the front in a long time

I beg to disagree.

I had an 03 RG for a couple of years, and never felt "right", or "at one" with it. It was smooth, but top heavy, and it seemed that I was always fighting it for control. The wife and I did some relatively long (two day) rides on it, and it was comfortable out on the road, but a real dog around town.

Four months ago, I sold it and bought an 06 Heritage. After a two thousand mile ride last month, I can honestly say I LOVE THIS BIKE! There's a bit more vibration, but comfortable as all get out for an all day ride, even with the wife on it. And around town it's nimble and responsive, and I don't feel like I'm going to drop it every time I come to a stop sign. My only complaint is that the saddle bags are smaller than the ones on the RG. But a bag on the rack takes care of that.

So for what it's worth, I will die in the saddle of my Heritage. Oh, yeah....it looks a lot better than a RG, too. :D

Back