free website stats program softail transmission change | Harley Davidson Forums

softail transmission change

09 deluxe

I have a 09 deluxe, and with the info off this great site I've successfully change my old engine oil and put in some fresh M1 synthetic and new filter.

Now the transmission. I've ordered some Spectro 6 speed 75w140 syn.
I know the drain plug is up between the shocks, but I am unsure about the filler hole and how to check level to ensure proper amount.

Some guidance everyone
Thanks

Filler hole should be the dip stick checker. The owners manual that came with the bike has a step by step procedure. Tells you amount and level for hot and cold etc. A 3/8" allen socket is used to remove my tranny filler cap. Think yours is the same.

Your manual should be part# 99469-09 and at $20 MSRP is cheap knowledge. You gotta get one.

Drain the oil Hot. I will rock my bike off jiffy stand to get all the oil out. My manual says to check level while on Jiffy stand. Don't tighten dip stick when checking level. Add oil until level is between scribe marks on stick.

The manual goes into detail about the security system which you will need to know if you happen to lose you FOB.

My FLSTC takes 1 quart, but to be sure check the manual, Your money would be well spent to invest in a service manual... Also use caution when reinstalling the drain plug. Do not over tighten.

In my herritage the trans holds 28oz. I always and a little more about 29/30oz.in the summer just my habbit.:rider

Back