free website stats program Softail standard 2005 air filter full of oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail standard 2005 air filter full of oil

Hi fellow americans,
I have a softail standard 2005 EFI. I don't use it every day, and after 5 -10 days at the first start everything runs well. 5-6 miles and some oil comes out from the air filter. In 4.000 miles I lost 1 litre in this way :bigsmiley30:...problems with the oil pump??? Dirty in the oil lines???? :newsmile077:

Hi fellow americans,
I have a softail standard 2005 EFI. I don't use it every day, and after 5 -10 days at the first start everything runs well. 5-6 miles and some oil comes out from the air filter. In 4.000 miles I lost 1 litre in this way :bigsmiley30:...problems with the oil pump??? Dirty in the oil lines???? :newsmile077:

The softail oil tank sits higher than the oil pump causing oil to flood the crank case after sitting, this will cause the oil to build up and puke out of the air cleaner

Your softail has a checkvalve to prevent oil sumping. It could be that a piece of trash has caused the ball (check valve W/spring) not to seat and is allowing the oil to run down into the crankcase. In some cases the ball and or seat have become pitted and need to be replaced or the seat needs to be cleaned up (recut).

If the bike sits for a period of time, when you start it do not hit the throttle for a couple of minutes. This should allow it to get the oil back into the tank and not puke it into the air cleaner.

Your softail has a checkvalve to prevent oil sumping. It could be that a piece of trash has caused the ball (check valve W/spring) not to seat and is allowing the oil to run down into the crankcase. In some cases the ball and or seat have become pitted and need to be replaced or the seat needs to be cleaned up (recut).

Thanks, but I dont know where this valve is :p. Is it on the cams plate???? :wall

If you don't have a manual now would be a good time to get one. The check valve on my '94FLSTC is the back screw on the top of the oil pump. Not sure where it is on your '05.

I don't believe the TC's have a check valve. The cam support does have a pressure relief valve w/ a spring that is removable. The Shovels and Evo's have the ball check valve that HDDON talks about.
tourbox

I don't believe the TC's have a check valve. The cam support does have a pressure relief valve w/ a spring that is removable. The Shovels and Evo's have the ball check valve that HDDON talks about.
tourbox

:D Yup, The pump is now internal on the Twin Cam

Since the softail oil tank is still in the same place what keeps the oil from entering the crankcase?

Back