free website stats program Softail Springer | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail Springer

Subby

Hi All: I just acquired an /89 Softail Springer to keep my /09 Ultra company in the garage. I don't have a manual for the springer (yet) and want to change out the fluids right away. Now, this may sound like a really stupid question but, I can't seem to find the drain plug on the oil tank..where is it??? I could also use help on the location of the drain plugs for the transmission and the primary. I have no problem working on my Ultra but I've never worked on a sotail before so I need some help. And yes, the manual is on order.

I would suspect that your bike will be similar to my 92 softail for draining the fluids
My oil tank drain is a hose that is secured to the main frame on the right side between the engine and gearbox i pull the front muffler for easy access to the drain hose
The gearbox drain plug is also on the right side of the bike it is the lowest screw on the right side of the gearbox i need to remove the front muffler to get access to it
Primary drain plug is at the rear of the primary cover at the lowest point

Brian

I would suspect that your bike will be similar to my 92 softail for draining the fluids
My oil tank drain is a hose that is secured to the main frame on the right side between the engine and gearbox i pull the front muffler for easy access to the drain hose
The gearbox drain plug is also on the right side of the bike it is the lowest screw on the right side of the gearbox i need to remove the front muffler to get access to it
Primary drain plug is at the rear of the primary cover at the lowest point

Brian

Thanks Brian. Think I have it all in hand now...can't wait for the manual to get here.

As my softail is only a few years younger than yours much of the bike will be the same or very similar apart from the front end and as i have had mine a few years now i know it fairly well so any further questions just as and i may know the answer

Brian

Pay attention to the Primary drain plug, if I remember correctly they can bottom out and the magnet can get damaged and roll around in the primary Clean the overhead tappet screen also

Last edited by a moderator:
Back