free website stats program Softail runs great until lights are turned on! HELP?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail runs great until lights are turned on! HELP??

mrbeefcak

Sorry but im trying to post a new subject and can NOT find the NEW POST!! can you help me?
Joe 89 Softail

Hello
I have a 1989 Softail factory custom
It runs great until I turn the light switch to on position, Then it sputters,craps out, and eventually fouls plugs!!
It has new wires,plugs, new Ign. switch,fuel lines, and battery, the charging system is working properly as well.
It has been in the local shop for three days and they can not figure it out!!
Please HELP if anyone has had this problemb.
Thanks
Joe:small3d023::newsmile047::newsmile09::bigsmiley6:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you have a short in that light circuit. Unfortunately, grab yourself a DVOM and a probe, and start isolating the problem. Start at the switch.

TQ

It might be the light bulb itself. It is rare, but I have seen bulbs fail to a short circuit instead of open. It sounds like you already replaced the wiring, try it with the bulb removed.

By "new wires", I assume you mean new sparkplug wires, right? If so, I suggest that you trace the wires from the switch to the controller, and then from the controller to the lights. When you look at the controller (probably under the seat), does it look burnt? You can check your wires with an DVOM by checking for continuity to ground. Disconnect both ends of the wire and then check both ends (one at a time) to a good ground (like the battery negative terminal!). Any resistance reading below infinite is bad, especially zero!

TQ

I think on that year they had breakers under the dash panel, is there a chance the extra draw of the lights are causing a weak breaker to act up?

Sounds like deadshort to me and it must be a pretty big wire, have you had the ign.switch mest with lately or maybe circuit braker is toast. Take the dash off and look for cooked wires, the circuit brakers are under there as well, between the tanks. thats my guess.:newsmile047:

so after you turn on light it sputters etc,,,but NO fuses are blown? then its not a short...if it was it would blow a fuze somewhere..

Back