free website stats program Softail oil line retainers | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail oil line retainers

I have new retainers for the tank but I'm a little confused as to their installation. There is a plug in them which obviously comes out but what has me confused is there are 2 O-rings on the end of the plug. Does the barb on the end of the line ride in between the O-rings?

HD03FXST064.gif
Do you have a manual? If not I would get one:D

Looking at Jack's post item #24, are you calling the barbed part the one that is closes to the line? It's been a while but if memory serves me, you slip the barbed piece on the line, then an o ring. The middle piece I think is a hard plastic piece then another o ring. Slip the chrome outer piece back down the line, it's just a cover. Push the pipe,oil line, into the oil tank then push the barbed piece in place. It keeps the line attached to the tank.
I would look up in the tank hole first for rust, dirt, etc. and clean first. Put a little oil on the o rings first for easier instillation.
tourbox

The way the manual says to do it seem to be a bit challenging. Instead I took the O-rings, spacer and retainer apart from the tool and inserted each piece into the tank one at a time. Seems to work MUCH easier.

Back