free website stats program Softail Heritage vs. Road King | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail Heritage vs. Road King

very nice Jayson

drew i agree the heritage needs white walls which is why it no comes with them from factory :D

this year, the two-color Heritage come with whitewalls standard. However, I don't particulary care for the "nike" like design on the gas tank.

Whichever bike I choose to buy, it will have whitewalls! (which come standard on the RKC).

Last edited:
Ok gang, I'm sure that there is some law of the open road that I would be breaking so I will ask first..... Would it be in terrible taste to take the saddlebags off and leave them off of a RK? I found a good deal on one, its a '99 with 2'000 miles on it. The only thing that I don't care for on a bike are saddlebags.

Ok gang, I'm sure that there is some law of the open road that I would be breaking so I will ask first..... Would it be in terrible taste to take the saddlebags off and leave them off of a RK? I found a good deal on one, its a '99 with 2'000 miles on it. The only thing that I don't care for on a bike are saddlebags.

That's the beauty of being the owner --- you can make it even more "YOURS" if you wish !! IMO --- No it would not be a terrible thing if your looking to get a stream-line effect or simply don't like the looks!!

Have you ever looked at a touring bike with the bags off? It is simply butt-ugly under those bags! It wasn't designed to be visible obviously. There are after market kits you can use to hide this area and still ride with the bags off but, IMO, a bagger just looks funny without bags!

I test rode the RK again, and while it is super smooth and easy to handle, the seating position and overall comfort is definitely inferior to the Heritage. I suppose I would be able to construct the Heritage feel on a RK through different seat and handle bars... but the Heritage already has the perfect set up for me as stock.

The only reason this isn't an easy, clear-cut decision for me is the ABS option for the RK... that is something, all else equal, I would like to have. But, I suppose being comfortable on your MC is important as well.

still trying to figure this out

Drew

I would not let the availability/non-availability of ABS be the deciding factor in which bike I buy. It's a great safety factor but there are so many other things that go into which bike you should buy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not let the availability/non-availability of ABS be the deciding factor in which bike I buy. It's a great safety factor but there are so many other things that go into which bike you should buy!

Thanks, DR. I'll get this figured out eventually. And by the way, due to your, and many others' glowing reviews of the Streetglide, that is now on my radar screen as well (DAG NAMMIT!). Most likely will not happen at this point, but it feels more comfortable than the RK when I sit on it, and the look of the fairing is growing on me. My dealer has 3 or 4 black 2008 FLHXs for sale... all with less than 10,000 miles... I may have to test ride one this weekend to satisfy my curiosity.

leaning towards the Heritage, though

Drew

Last edited:
Thanks, DR. I'll get this figured out eventually. And by the way, due to your, and many others' glowing reviews of the Streetglide, that is now on my radar screen as well (DAG NAMMIT!). Most likely will not happen at this point, but it feels more comfortable than the RK when I sit on it, and the look of the fairing is growing on me. My dealer has 3 or 4 black 2008 FLHXs for sale... all with less than 10,000 miles... I may have to test ride one this weekend to satisfy my curiosity.

leaning towards the Heritage, though

Drew

Careful - everyone is saying once you test ride a Street Glide, the decision is over! Of course, I think a lot of those folks were talking about the new and improved 2009's.

The things that won me over to the Street Glide were the gauges (I'm a pilot, what can I say!), the music capabilities, the adjustable rear suspension, and the extra protection the fairing offers over a windshield. The fact that they look leaner and meaner than the other baggers was a definite plus also.

I commend you for taking your time and getting so much input before making your decision. I know how it feels to have hundreds of facts, figures, specs, and test ride impressions spinning in your brain 24/7. Trust me, at some point you'll wake up and your heart will point you in the right direction!

I'm Into Softails.....and I Have An Evo And A Twin Cam...love Them Both The Rk I Once Got As A Loner And It Rides Nice Until You Have To Make A Complete Stop.

I have an 07 Heritage and I too compared it with the RK. I went with the Heritage because I liked the look better and it sat much more comfortable then the RK. I even liked the smoother ride and I too tested them both. What I didn't do is get them both up to a speed that I cruise at the most, which is 70 to 75MPH. My Heritage vibrates at speeds over 70MPH and I tried ever think to get rid of it. I wish now I'd purchased a touring model.

Back