free website stats program softail help | Harley Davidson Forums

softail help

Hi,

I have an 05 softail Standard, and was wondering if I can put a 180 tire with a 5x5 wheel on the stock rear without a fat kit....? I understand that I can
is that correct?
:D

It came stock on my 06 with 180. I dont know if there is a difference in fender size or mount or swing arm from 05 to 06, but if there isn't then why didn't they come stock with 180 in 05.

that is correct, the 06 does have the 180. I think I will be good to go. I am changing fenders anyway, so I am going to go for the 180 tire and the 5x5 wheel. thanks for your response...I am new to this forum stuff and really look forward to allot of feed back.

L

Hi,

I have an 05 softail Standard, and was wondering if I can put a 180 tire with a 5x5 wheel on the stock rear without a fat kit....? I understand that I can
is that correct? :D

When you say 5x5 wheel, what are you talking about? 18 x 5.5? If 5.5, the wheel may be to wide. IIRC, the recommended wheel width for the SE180, which is the Dunlop GT502, is 4.5"-5". So, you could use a stock 17x4.5 Deuce wheel but I think you will need the 20mm belt and pulley, shaving some off the brake caliper, modify the belt guard and then plan on spending a day wrestling it all in between the narrow FXST fender and spending somewhere between $500-$750 depending on what the parts cost. It appears to be a very tight fit; the pulley rides out very near the swing arm.

If you have to buy a wheel, the 18x 5.5 would be an easier swap. I have seen photos of some '05 and '06 FXSTs with 200mm rear tires but they used the 18x5.5 wheel.

I have never done this but my brother has an '05 FXST and we researched the modification and that is what we came up with. He blew if off, didn't want to spend the bucks.

I qualify all of the above as I am going from recollection. Maybe someone here has done the swap and can provide confirmed information??

Back