free website stats program Softail Electric panel | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail Electric panel

David22

I have a Softail 2003; there is an electrical panel in front of the rear wheel. Between the wheel & the electrical panel there is a plastic splash guard which takes away most of the water & debris from the rear wheel. At the top of the splash guard there is quite a large gap which allows the suspension to move up & down, it also allows some debris & water to build up around the electrical components on the panel. There must be a better way of sealing off the electrical panel from all the elements. Water is the last thing you need on there. Has anyone got any ideas?

David.

I have a Softail 2003; there is an electrical panel in front of the rear wheel. Between the wheel & the electrical panel there is a plastic splash guard which takes away most of the water & debris from the rear wheel. At the top of the splash guard there is quite a large gap which allows the suspension to move up & down, it also allows some debris & water to build up around the electrical components on the panel. There must be a better way of sealing off the electrical panel from all the elements. Water is the last thing you need on there. Has anyone got any ideas?

David.

Dilectric grease on all the connections will help:s

Dilectric grease on all the connections will help:s
Thank-you for that, I have herd of some kind of skirt that can be fitted to the rear mud guard which stops water & other debris from making contact with the electrical panel. If water & debris can be prevented from getting to the panel, that would work well. If anyone has herd of such a device I would appreciate any info.

David

I made it a point when I purchased my bike to put Dilectric grease on most all of the connectors that were easy to get to, fuses, relays and bulbs included. Past experiences made me do this. Then, when working on the bike and I happen to be in an area where there is a connector of some type, that is usually out of sight, they get the grease also, such as when the rear wheel is off, I get the panel you spoke of. Anything and everything electrical gets it, including any grounding points.

Back